Infantry arc of fire (ITLSU)

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Alan Lauder

Infantry arc of fire (ITLSU)

Post by Alan Lauder »

Hi all,
I'm a little confused about arc of fire in ITLSU. I note in 9.13 (p. 31) the rules note an MG has a 60 degree arc of fire. Nowhere else can I find mention of the arc of fire for infantry - is it assumed they can fire in any direction excepting where blocked by other units of terrain?

I feel like I'm missing something here - I'm keen to hear about where it is covered in the rules.

Cheers
Alan
Peter

Re: Infantry arc of fire (ITLSU)

Post by Peter »

Just got the rules myself and have exactly the same question.
I think I'd go with a limited arc, maybe 45 degrees, not least because you can get a free 1" shuffle without having counted as moving.
But it would be nice to see a response from someone who has played.

Peter
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Sorry, just caught up with this.
There is no arc of fire for infantry in the rules. If you have a clear line of sight to the target you can shoot at it. No shooting through friendlies though! So you can't really fire with all your bases along the length of your line if the enemy appears on your flank, just the base on the end of the line.

It's never really been an issue in any of our games. These are troops in extended order who could turn around pretty easily. If you need one I would keep it simple to anyone in the 180' frontal arc being a potential target. If someone appears in the rear I would probably allow the unit to use its 1" free shuffle to turn about.

John
Peter

Post by Peter »

That works for me. Given infantry don't have to pay for changing direction (like cavalry do) it makes sense.

Peter