Suitability for small engagements

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

NeilCFord

Suitability for small engagements

Post by NeilCFord »

I'm looking to do some small scale engagements, no more than a couple of Batallions a side. Is ITLSU suitable for this or should I be looking at a different rules set?

- Neil.
Archdukek

Re: Suitability for small engagements

Post by Archdukek »

Neil,
ITSLU is designed to be played with a Brigade per side plus supports, so 3-4 battalions of infantry plus MGs Artillery and perhaps some cavalry. We have been playing some East Africa games with roughly that size force and having great fun.

Since each regular battalion usually consists of 4 companies each of 4 bases, I dare say you could play by splitting each battalion in two to increase the number of units in your games, but you may find they become a bit fragile because of the accumulation of Shock.

I'd still say it was worth trying though.

John
NeilCFord

Post by NeilCFord »

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to do some more looking around to see what, if any rules, cover the platoon or company level.

- Neil.
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Neil,
For platoon level up to company you might want to take a look at TFL's "Through the Mud and The Blood" or even the WW1 version of Chain of Command which was in The TFL Christmas 2014 Special. I've played both and they were good fun, but never tried them for the Middle East campaign. If you post on the TMTB section of this Forum you went get some advice on that.

John
NeilCFord

Post by NeilCFord »

John

I spent the train ride to London this afternoon, thinking the very same thoughts. Even have a text file on my laptop called Sand and Camel Shit which will contain my notes on Middle East M&B and it's CoC'd up version.

So it is indeed off to the M&B section to see if anyone has produced army lists. I have the scenarios from a couple of specials, but more generic lists would be good.

Thanks for all you help.

- Neil.
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

No problem Neil. I'll be interested to know how you get on.

I'm currently awaiting an order from Pendraken for some of their Middle East figures to create a brigade force for ITSLU having caught the bug from my friend's East Africa setup. No idea when they will ever get painted though.

John