Pluck Playtest Questions

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

agent_pumpkin

Pluck Playtest Questions

Post by agent_pumpkin »

Just a couple of questions for Rich (or anybody else involved!)...

In the tactical game -

Is an artillery battery a base (three guns) or a group of bases?

Is Boer artillery still 1 base = 3 guns?

(The scenarios have the Boer arty by number of guns, while the British artillery just by the name of the battery)

Do bases in a group have to be within a certain distance of each other? Or are the reliant upon the commanders command range?
Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.
Charles Eckart

Re: Pluck Playtest Questions

Post by Charles Eckart »

1 artillery base is 1 to 3 guns. As far as I know British batteries are 6 guns, 2 bases. I think some Naval guns are one gun. Boers are 1 to 3 guns.

I played Talana Hill scenario and not being sure of the base distances for Boers used the open order distance as that is how they are targeted. For British the formations give the base spacing.

For command control I used battalion commander distance from the battalion or group.
agent_pumpkin

Post by agent_pumpkin »

Thanks!
Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.
richard
Site Admin

Post by richard »

Aha, all good questions. And the answer is that I need to firm some of this up. So that is good. Answers as follows:

In the tactical game -

Is an artillery battery a base (three guns) or a group of bases?

Six guns. I'm going to change that to three bases with each base being 2 guns in Tactical, two bases in GT with each being 3 guns.
Is Boer artillery still 1 base = 3 guns?

(The scenarios have the Boer arty by number of guns, while the British artillery just by the name of the battery)

Do bases in a group have to be within a certain distance of each other? Or are the reliant upon the commanders command range?

That isn't specified. The answer is that we do need to specify that, so let's try 3". Can't see why that won't work.

Rich
richard
Site Admin

Post by richard »

Charles

The intention is that you can place the Boers in base to base contact, but they are always treated as open order.

Rich
Charles Eckart

Post by Charles Eckart »

Boer vedettes movr or fire on Tactical cards, do they also deploy on Tactical or are the a "detached" portion of a commando?
richard
Site Admin

Post by richard »

They should be deployed before the game begins.

Rich
Charles Eckart

Post by Charles Eckart »

Thanks Rich. I really like the "clock" idea. Still trying to be sure I've used the Tactical cards correctly.
Charles Eckart

Post by Charles Eckart »

Hoping to play Elandslaagte scenario in the next day or two but I'm wondering if the Force Morale rule is necessary. The clock and effect of Shock seem to cover the real events well.

I like the Force Morale idea in CoC and will apply it to IABSM but wonder if it isn't a layer too much for the Boer War.

Anyone else with thoughts on this?
Nellkyn

Post by Nellkyn »

Currently we're planning to re-play Talana Hill next week. We've played already played this scenario once without the Clock Deck or Force Morale so this time we're happy to use both to see the results.

The ruleset needed something like this as there was no time constraint or effects of mounting casualties, other then fewer men to fight.