ITLSU Reading List

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

gilliessim

ITLSU Reading List

Post by gilliessim »

Hello, just picked up these rules and would like to read up on some of the campaigns for the period. I've found a book by Anthony Bruce: The Last Crusade: The Palestine Campaign in the First World War. Has anyone on here read it and does it do a decent job of describing some of the brigade level actions?

Does anyone have recommendations for brigade level actions, and books/sources to read up on them?

Thank you!

Gillies
Martin1914

Re: ITLSU Reading List

Post by Martin1914 »

Gillies
Hello. I found the Last Crusade to be a very good one-volume overview of the campaign at the higher level. Battle descriptions are quite broad-brush. For greater tactical detail and scenario ideas my go to reference are the British Official Histories of the Great War (Mesopotamia, Egypt & Palestine and East Africa). I bought mine from Naval & Military Press. There's a host of military history forums and websites, family history web pages etc. that can reward search time for info eg. orbats, maps, sketches and photographs.
Good luck with your reading. Hope you enjoy ITLSU.
Regards
Mart
gilliessim

Post by gilliessim »

Thank you Martin! Majority of my WW1 research and books are all from western front or covering specific areas, sadly not much on middle east operations, although this is a nice push to get some!
jony663

Post by jony663 »

gilliessim wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:56 am Thank you Martin! Majority of my WW1 research and books are all from western front or covering specific areas, sadly not much on middle east operations, although this is a nice push to get some!
Are you interested in the entire area, or a specific campaign. My personal library is broken down into,

Mesopotamia
Sinai and Palestine
Gallipoli (not as much there_
Ottomans on the Russian Front
Other (includes Persia and Back of Beyond)
gilliessim

Post by gilliessim »

Sorry haven't been checking the forum much lately so have missed your reply. My apologies.
I'm mainly interested in the Mesopotamia and Sinai/Palestine campaigns - primarily to get some inspiration and information for ITLSU scenarios, so actions at brigade level with some detail and mapping is ideal if such a tome exists!
I'll probably pick up the Last Crusade as a starting point at least, then work my confidence up to the official histories which are somewhat pricey!

Thank you,

Gillies
Nick

Post by Nick »

Some good suggestions on this thread. If you are playing Gallipoli games then the Battleground tours books are superb as is Robert Carlyon's book 'Gallipoli'.

For Palestine try:
Horseman Pass By (ALH)
A fighting Colonel of Camel Corps (De Lancey Forth - loads of period flavour and a good account of a camel corps engagement)
Military Operations Egypt and Palestine Vol I and II
The Palestine Campaigns - by Wavell
Armageddon - Cyril Falls
The Last Crusade - Anthony Bruce
Imperial Camel Corps - Inchbald
For Mespot go for the Official stories and Battles on the Tigris by a bloke whose name I cant remember.

Also tweeting as @Dozibugger https://twitter.com/Dozibugger
And don't forget to follow Toofatlardies on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Toofatlardies/
Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

Nick wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:12 pm For Mespot go for the Official stories and Battles on the Tigris by a bloke whose name I cant remember.
F.J. Moberly did the 4vol. official history The Campaign in Mesopotamia 1914–1918 in the 1920s and Ron Wilcox's Battles on the Tigris (2006) has just been rereleased this year.

There is also a ripping yarn from the diary of Capt E.O. Mousley, The Secrets of a Kuttite: An Authentic Story of Kut, Adventures in Captivity and Stamboul Intrigue from 1921 and available online.
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny