Suitability for SCW?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

jonrog1

Suitability for SCW?

Post by jonrog1 »

Hi guys, looking for a set of rules to accommodate largish formation battles of the SCW, would ITLSU work for this with a provision for light/ medium tanks and greater aircraft ability?

Any help and suggestions appreciated.

Regards

Jon
jonrog1

Re: Suitability for SCW?

Post by jonrog1 »

I'll take that as a resounding "no" then...…...
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Jon,
I've never tried to use ITLSU for the Spanish Civil War, so can't really comment on its suitability for what you want. However, we have used it for The Soviet-Polish War incorporating some elements from Triumph of the Will and involving light tanks and armoured cars and have greatly enjoyed the results. So I would encourage you to give it a go.
It's a flexible ruleset.

John
jonrog1

Post by jonrog1 »

Thanks John,

I'm thinking along the same lines, of how adaptable are the rules. I like the Lardie premise of blinds and card activation for uncertainty in the game, particularly apt for the SCW I think where there where so few regularly trained combatants. SCW has a unique flavour I believe but errs more towards WW1 rather than the later platoon breakdown of the likes of "I ant been shot mum". From what I've read, the company remained the standard sub unit of a battalion. Plus I'm hoping the more diverse colonial range of troop types in WW1 Mesopotamia can be adapted to represent SCW Requettes, Moors, Legionnaires, militia and International Brigades etc.

Would probably need to bring over the AFV/ AC stats for early war Russian/ German and Italian forces from IABSM.

Many thanks for the input and yes Russo Polish War is another interest, although I'm doing it in 15mm.

All the best.

Jon
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Jon,
The troop classification system in ITLSU is pretty robust and lends itself to being tweaked. There is an existing variant for the war in East Africa created by the Durham lads showing how this can be done in one of the TFL Specials. It and other relevant articles for ITLSU and Through the Mud and Blood and others are available in a Great War Compendium volume published and sold by TFL available here: https://toofatlardies.co.uk/product/pla ... ompendium/

You might also want to check out the free Chain of Command Espana material from the Lard Island News which supports SCW action at platoon level.

We play ITLSU East Africa and Russo-Polish War in 10mm.

John
JimLeCat

Post by JimLeCat »

There's also an SCW supplement for IABSM in the 2004 summer special, called Up Your Cara El Sol. It was written for the previous version of IABSM, but converting between versions is simple.
jonrog1

Post by jonrog1 »

Thanks Jim, I think the solution is going to be a blend of bits of IABSM merged into ITLSU as the basis. Will pick up the supplement as well.

Many thanks guys, this is exactly the input and suggestions I needed to spur on the project.