Starting a Game

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Townsend

Starting a Game

Post by Townsend »

Hi,

I am new to this type of wargaming using cards. My friend and I prior to starting a game ran into some confusion regarding deployment and Blinds. We are unsure of how to deploy our forces as they are on Blinds and when to start using the cards.
We moved our Blinds once each and picked up a card. The card was my friend’s German Status III Leader but since Blinds do not need a Big Man to move we were unsure of how to proceed.

Thanks,
Townsend
rim66

Re: Starting a Game

Post by rim66 »

Hi Townsend,

Let's see if I can help, although I am rusty on TM&B. First off, I'd suggest only putting cards in the deck for the elements on table - this may mean you start with just the two Blinds cards and the snifter - no need to have the Status III Leader card in there until he is on the table. Troops are placed on the table when spotted or when a player decides to deploy them - at this point I would suggest adding their cards to the discard pile so they are ready to be in the deck next turn - don't forget to also add characteristic cards. If they are spotted and haven't had their go, they still activate on the Blinds card as they started the turn on a Blind, they only need their own cards from the next turn.

Hope that helps and do shout if you need anything more, I'm hoping one of the more veteran TM&Bers will be along soon to add some more thoughts.

Kind regards,

Richard aka Monty Lardo
Townsend

Post by Townsend »

Hi Richard,

Many thanks for the prompt reply. I'll give it a go tomorrow with just the Blinds cards and the snifter in the deck and see how it goes.

Thank you once again.

Kind regards,
Townsend
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Towmsend,
Richard/Monty was spot on with his reply. You start with a very small deck then add cards as troops or Big Men are placed on the table.

Some players prefer to just start with the Blinds cards and only add the Snifter card once something has been spotted or fired and placed on the table. It depends how much friction you like in the opening stages, the scenario and the size of your table. This approach allows both sides Blinds to advance but once "contact" is made the snifter card goes in.

John
Townsend

Post by Townsend »

Hi John,

Great, thanks for the help. I’ll be doing a smaller version of the Nemesis of the Stosstruppen scenario from the Stout Hearts and Iron Troopers pdf with one platoon per side so I’ll probably just start with the Blinds cards in the deck.

Kind regards,
Townsend