Newbie to TMB

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Gamma310

Newbie to TMB

Post by Gamma310 »

Hello everyone,

After my introduction to the Lard Virus by CoC and branching out towards IABSM, BtH and so on I finally succumbed to the temptation of the Great War.
The Rules are an interesting read and I've already started to scout for suitable miniatures. The only thing that leaves me kind of lost is the platoon compostion. I quite licked the CoC Platoon system and was hoping there was something similar for TMB. But up to konw I have "only" found scenarios. Is there kind of a Platoon builder or something similar?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. And looking forward to see where this journey takes me.
Archdukek

Re: Newbie to TMB

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Gamma,
TMB is an excellent set of rules albeit rather different to CoC. There is in fact a variant for blending CoC and TMB in the TFL 2014 Christmas Special which you might find of interest.

There is nothing similar to the CoC platoon list system for TMB or any Platoon builder as such. I'm afraid you will have to do your own research although there are helpful guidelines to organisation and tactics for each of the major combatants at the rear of the rule book.

I would also recommend getting the Stout Hearts and Iron Troopers supplement as it also includes some useful material and its introductory scenarios are intended to teach you the basics of controlling a platoon in the field. They include details of the figures you will need.

Hope that helps.

John

PS Rich Clarke has hinted in the past that he is working on a full Chain of Command variant for the Great War but has given no indication when it might appear. So your work on figures could be good preparation for that.
Darren

Post by Darren »

Hi Gamma,

I'm also new to TMB.

I going to play 1914 in 28mm. I have finished painting my French platoon and started my German platoon.

I used the 1914 TO&E to organise both platoons; I found the TO&E's on google. As expected, there is conflicting information. After looking at a number of sources, I choose what was the most common and used that. Historically, units were almost never at fully strength, so I if my units on the table don't exactly reflect the historical TO&E, I don't think is matters.

Osprey publishing also have books on each of the combatants for WW1. I used these books as my uniform painting guide.

Darren
Groupe_Franc

Post by Groupe_Franc »

The Lardies' shop offers a couple of useful resources. *Stout Hearts and Iron Troopers* has a couple of 1914 scenarios which (presumably) offer guidance for the make-up of 1914 platoons. *Play the Game* is a compendium of articles from the Specials on WW1 as of mid-2015. Specifically there is an article and scenario on the differences between British and German small unit tactics. Good luck!
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

I'd forgotten "Play the Game". Definitely well worth buying.

John