french in gallipoli

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Groupe_Franc

Re: french in gallipoli

Post by Groupe_Franc »

my info on the Foreign Legion uniform is from Windrow's Osprey volume on the Foreigh Legion 1914-1945.
The info on the Senegalese is based on a photo in the Sept., 1989 issue of Militaria magazine.

pedivere

Post by pedivere »

yes, I forgot the Osprey one - reconstructed from a published memoir - THX
I haven't seen the photograph though

there is however this picture

showing them in the assembly zone on Lemnos in the later, one button row khaki capote. Although this one could be the later reinforcements - so in the end I am not certain

Groupe_Franc

Post by Groupe_Franc »

I've not seen that photo. What unit is in it?

pedivere

Post by pedivere »

you can find it allover the net, and it is always labeled foreign legion

and by the kepi it can be only regular metropolitans or legion. No other colonial or african unit wore it, and the colos had calot or mellon

so I do believe it is legion

aphillathehun

Post by aphillathehun »

What is that strap looking thing on top of the kepi?

pedivere

Post by pedivere »

it's not the kepi ;)
look a bit closer, you will notice it is the personal mess tin (gamelle) strapped on top of the backpack. The whole thing towers so high, that from some soldiers marching in formation up the hill, you see only this from the soldiers who bend theit heads down looking to the ground, as the picture is taken from above.

like here

aphillathehun

Post by aphillathehun »

Ha! That's great!

I'm sometimes tempted to do some French in Gallipoli. I'm not quite sure how to pull it all together. Having a unit of legion like this might be kind of cool to paint. I'm not sure what to do about the metropolitans. I imagine it would be nice to use figs without the greatcoat, but am very unsure about that also.

pedivere

Post by pedivere »

I am not certain what the problem would be?
in winter all wore greatcoats, in summer they didn't.
The prewar blue ones were used up at some point and were probably replaced by khaki ones. I am not certain whether the horizon blue ever reached the orient army. And I never saw any pictures of calot or bonnet de police in the mediterranean theatre, although it must have been ubiquitous by the Macedonian campaign.

The woodbine range was created to game Gallipoli, although they "forgot" to make the summer version without greatcoat

aphillathehun

Post by aphillathehun »

I guess I could use guys in greatcoats but I think most of the interesting battles the French participated in were far enough into the year not to be wearing greatcoats?

pedivere

Post by pedivere »

well, about the Gallipoli campaign you better ask an expert or do some research yourself, because I know only the rough outlines.
The main fighting involving the french was done around Krithia Spur, and this was in the summer heat. The fall brought blizzards and frostbites to the whole expedition.
All in all, they were present from may 1915 until the retreat in january 1916, but there wasn't much fighting after August, apart from the turkish offensive in january.

Still I don't understand the greatcoat issue. If you do a foreign legion force without greatcoat (in khaki), you can use them everywhere apart from the western front and probably a good part of the Balkans campaign, because then you would need them to wear helmets. The Kepi fell out of use after the introduction of the adrian.
The greatcoat order was done for marching or parade, or in winter when it was needed.

If you are intending to have a movie style legion force with blue greatcoat and havelock kepi, you can skip that for basically everything after 1910. All blue greatcoats were used up in the early WW1, and the neck cover thing is more a myth reminiscent of the Crimea and Mexico campaign. The main fighting of the legion before WW1 was done in Morocco, and the order there was the colonial uniform, blue greatcoats where necessary.