french in gallipoli

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

aphillathehun

french in gallipoli

Post by aphillathehun »

I've been searching online and not finding very much. Can anyone recommend any books? How about uniform info?

pedivere

Re: french in gallipoli

Post by pedivere »

yes, recent research suggests that there were also french troops involved in the Gallipoli Campaign, not only ANZAC :?
I am afraid french reading is required for decent publications.
these basics you have probably seen already
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arm%C3%A9 ... d%27Orient
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corps_exp ... d%27Orient
http://dardanelles.1915-2015.sam2g.fr/2 ... mandement/

photographs I have seen so far rarely show more than few parts of the metropolitan uniform, mostly artillery. The Colonial and african army probably had the old colonial uniform. For the metropolitan troops it is hard to judge which of the new uniform was worn.

aphillathehun

Post by aphillathehun »

Thanks. Yes, I have seen those.

One of the pics I've seen is the artillery in action there - guys with the sun helmets. Oh, here's a link:
http://www.army.mod.uk/firstworldwarres ... -june-1915

I'm a little puzzled by the sash around the waist several of them are wearing. I don't have good uniform sources but the ones I have don't show this. Do you know anything about those?

pedivere

Post by pedivere »

yes, the sash is one of the more traditional pieces usually worn on more ceremonial occasions. It appears to have been popular with the african army even after WW1. It could be useful against chafing of the belt or the webbing, as it is part of the uniform for the saharan companies or the fatigue dress before WW1. It was red for african units and blue for metropolitan units. I can only assume the use in the context is rather unusual.
The modern version is the white/tan cheche of the african army, which is associated with the foreign legion. In miniature you can find it in the fatigue dress with Artizan and Unfeasibly, but it is clearly old-fashioned, though I saw some interwar pictures from Morocco where it was used in a similar way.
It was probably more popular wit the native troops, but as you can see it was not always worn on campaign
Attachments
CSPL.JPG

aphillathehun

Post by aphillathehun »

Thanks. I have two pictures of French 75s that look like they are taken about the same place. It is a very odd use of the sash but men in both pics wear it. They are otherwise only in their shirts and mostly wearing sun helmets.

I'm trying to figure out how to bash a crew for that. I can get the guns and ammo wagons from Scarab I think (though it says they are out of stock). I have some ideas about where to start for crew but I haven't convinced myself it's doable yet.

I have one other pic of French and Brits together in front of a gun and the French crew look more traditionally dressed for that.

The French at Gallipoli would have made a colorful assortment - there were metropolitans, zouaves, foreign legion, and senegalese. I really wonder what they look like. I found text of an eyewitness describing them attacking and being an amazing array of colors.

pedivere

Post by pedivere »

these artillery crews are available
Woodbine have the helmet heads,
otherwise, try Artizan

aphillathehun

Post by aphillathehun »

whoa - who makes the artillery crew in the top photo, the guys on the bottom shelf in shirt sleeves look the part.

pedivere

Post by pedivere »

Woodbine british artillery crew, french heads.
they come without
Or ANZAC, if you like chopping off heads

Groupe_Franc

Post by Groupe_Franc »

The Senegalese troops landed wearing the capote and chechia. I *speculate* that they changed to summer kit as the weather got hot. The legionnaires wore their usual khaki campaign uniform with capote and sun helmet. Hope this helps

pedivere

Post by pedivere »

What is your source for the capote?
I have seen quite some photographs from Gallipoli and no capotes.

I doubt they were worn in summer, but pretty sure in the very bitter winter that is reported.