Results of Close Combat

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Chasseur

Results of Close Combat

Post by Chasseur »

Some questions arose from close combats as the ANZACs tried to take some of the Turkish trenches at Gallipoli.

1. When comparing losses of dead on both sides, do you roll for Big Man hits first? If he is only wounded does that reduce the number of dead by 1 when working out the close combat result, maybe changing a draw to a victory?

2. A group had 4 men left plus a Status I Corporal and Status III Lieutenant with them in Close Combat. If they take 7 kills how does it work?
We played that the first 4 kills took out the 4 men. We assumed that because there were more kills than ordinary men, the 3 excess hits were automatic hits on the Big Men rather than rolling as usual. Then we rolled 1 dice for effect on each Big Man. We decided not to randomly allocate the 3 excess hits to the Big Men, but just gave them 1 automatic hit each and ignored the 3rd.
Our result was the Corporal being badly wounded, so captured and cared for by the Ottomans. The Lieutenant lost a Status Level and retreated; in search of more cannon fodder to command.

If there had been 5 hits we would have killed the 4 ordinary ranks and diced to see which of the Big Men was automatically hit with the 1 excess “kill” dice.

How would you play it?

Cheers,
John
BaronVonWreckedoften

Re: Results of Close Combat

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

I'm pretty sure that excess kills in melee/fisticuffs take out any leaders/big men automatically. So in your example, 4 men with 2 leaders, suffering 7 casualties, lose all six guys without recourse to further dice rolls.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.
Chasseur

Post by Chasseur »

Thanks. Keeps it simpler.

Cheers,
John
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi John,
As I recall in Close Combat you compare the kill results before rolling to see if any Big Men present have been wounded or killed.

The rules as written do not automatically apply excess kills to any Big Men. Instead rule 9.5 “Hits on Big Men” applies and both Big Men would roll a D10 and would take a hit if they rolled 7 or less in this case. You would then roll for the effect as you did.

It’s all part of creating a narrative which can see your heroic Big Men survive against the odds when those lesser mortals around them fall. The Baron’s suggestion is certainly simpler but is more prosaic and isn’t how the rules work. :D

John
Chasseur

Post by Chasseur »

Thanks Archdukek.
I like that as it allows the chance for a wounded Big Man to escape, or be the last man standing. Or be captured - which could lead to an interesting follow up mission.
As you say, it is all about the story.

Regards,
John
BaronVonWreckedoften

Archdukek wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:34 pm The Baron’s suggestion is certainly simpler but is more prosaic and isn’t how the rules work.
I'm pretty sure at least one set of TFL rules (CoC?) follows this process - in fact I seem to recall seeing it in a game video.

Am I mistaken on all counts?
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:48 pm
Archdukek wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:34 pm The Baron’s suggestion is certainly simpler but is more prosaic and isn’t how the rules work.
I'm pretty sure at least one set of TFL rules (CoC?) follows this process - in fact I seem to recall seeing it in a game video.

Am I mistaken on all counts?
Technically Baron I regret that yes you are mistaken on all counts. However, there is a potential Get out of Jail Card available! :D

The Chain of Command rules as written also operate as I described, but in the FAQ you will find that Rich acknowledges that some players, including him sometimes, prefer to just apply all kills in Close Combat and remove all the figures without rolling for effect on Leaders. That’s probably what you’ve seen in a video. He leaves it to the player’s to decide which option suits them better.

John
BaronVonWreckedoften

Yes, that sounds familiar.