Losing Ones Amphora in Combat

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Derek H

Losing Ones Amphora in Combat

Post by Derek H » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:27 am

Question arising after a game last week. A group lost a round of close combat by 1 man and also lost their amphora due to receiving loads of shock (Picts are difficult to kill, but can quite easily accumulate a lot of shock)

They've misplaced their amphora so we have to resolve that. The rules (p.54) tell us that "Each time the turn ends they will move 3D6 inches towards their friendly table edge". There's nothing else about moving troops who have misplaced their amphora that I can find. So nothing happens due to that now and we wait for the end of the turn.

The rules (p.47) also specify that groups who have lost a melee should withdraw if they have excess shock. And a group that has lost iis amphora (twice as many shock as men) is obviously also suffering from excess shock (more shock than men). So we move them back 1" for each point of shock they have.

So back immediately after melee due to excess shock, but wait until the end of turn before moving 3D6 for misplaced amphora.

Or should a group that's lost its amphora in combat retire 3D6 immediately at the end of the round of combat?
All the Lard News in one place - Lard Central http://www.netvibes.com/lardcentral
Pimping my blog - Dereks Wee Toys http://dereksweetoys.com/

JimLeCat

Re: Losing Ones Amphora in Combat

Post by JimLeCat » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:03 pm

Hi Derek,

That's how we play it. The rules on p.54 lay it out exactly, the notes on the combat results summary just reiterate those, the only special case being the rout.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Jim

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:57 pm

We come up against that quite a lot.

We retreat 3D6 immediately the loss of Amphora is reached and that is the retreat for that turn, regardless of other circumstances. Sometimes a withdrawal will cause the loss of Amphora, and knowing that, again we just roll 3D6.

Perhaps that is not the way to do it, but as so much of Dux B is left to interpretation,that's how we interpret it.

We also tend to just take a unit off the table once it runs a sufficient distance and we all agree that it would escape without being molested.

Axabrax

Post by Axabrax » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:50 pm

We always say that the 3d6 is immediate. I mean these guys have lost their bottle and are fleeing so I would think they would run as far as possible facing away from the enemy. I guess it depends on whether you see it as total and complete panic or as backing off slowly and then turning and fleeing when it's safe.