Charging question

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

sunjester

Charging question

Post by sunjester » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:01 am

I thought I'd asked this before but my post seems to have disappeared! :?

I want to charge enemy in front of my unit and play A Strong Arm, which reduces my movement by 1d6. If I do not make contact with the reduced movement do I:

a. Waste the card, I didn't use it but tough!

b. Keep the card in my hand, I didn't use it so it wasn't actually played.

c. Still roll for the shock effect, because heavy throwing weapons are thrown before actually making contact.

What are your thoughts Gents?
Graham

Old Guy

Re: Charging question

Post by Old Guy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:33 am

You keep the card, you didn't get there so didn't use it.

We have found that the best thing to do on these occasions is to roll 2D6, if you get there then declare your cards, if not you keep quiet. Or, depending on how you interpret the rules and you and your mates play the game, you decide to throw a third die, fight but do not use the card as you used 3D6.

You do have to get into contact to use that card, you cannot just get close and throw the weapons.

JimLeCat

Post by JimLeCat » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:00 pm

It's a point the rules are not explicit on, but, to be honest, it doesn't make much difference so long as both players are clear on how you are playing this up front.

Having tried it both ways, we now tend to play that you play the cards when you declare the charge and if you fail to reach your target, bad luck. Oh, and as Old Guy saya, you don't get to throw your missiles unless you are going to make contact. It makes it simpler to keep track of things and adds a bit of suspense to the game.

It means we don't play A Strong Arm unless we are confident that 2D6 movement is going to be enough. That or we have a Carpe Diem and Bounding Move to play as well!

Cheers,
Jim

Fian

Post by Fian » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:37 pm

We've always played it that you have to play the card before rolling to move and if you don't roll high enough, you've wasted the card and don't get any effect.

EvilGinger

Post by EvilGinger » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:04 pm

I always play it with the card having its normal effect reasoning the charge petters out after you have hurled you missiles. This has little effect on the game except that the shock generally prevents an immediate counter charge from the targets of the failed charge. As a tactic this card works best with a movement enhancing card which counteracts the loss of movement caused by it.

:evil: Ginger
Dark lord at large....

WillieB

Post by WillieB » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:56 am

I'm with Evil Ginger here. Normally you play your cards before throwing for your movement and if you don't reach your intended target you've lost your Carpe Diem, Agressive Charge and whatever you have played. But the Strong Arm card is still played and the shock applied to the target since they were close enough to do so.
You can't buy honour.

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:53 am

I can't agree with that, unscrupulous players could move forward, knowing they had a pretty slim chance of contact, say over a marsh, use that card and get shock on the enemy.

Also what if the enemy are 12 inches away, you declare the card, throw a 2 for movement, you are now 10" away, would you still allow the guy to throw? This then means you have to have a new rule for how close you have to be to throw the weapons.

I suspect the card is meant to give the charger a bit of an edge before combat begins, its use precedes combat, it is not a free missile.

But, as I suspect with this set of rules, we are all playing things differently and whatever suits, then it suits.

WillieB

Post by WillieB » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:26 am

On the few occasions Strong Arm has been used and the charge didn't connect, it usually left the attacker 1,2 or perhaps 3 inches from his target.
But you're right, an unsrupulous player could use this as a free missile attack.
So to avoid this why not say that they have to reach at least to within 5 inches of the target group to use it?. 6 inch is the range for 'professionally thrown javelins.
You can't buy honour.

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:40 am

Absolutely sensible Willi, as always. I am going to stick with actual contact though.

Happy Gaming.