Saxon Shore

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Old Guy

Saxon Shore

Post by Old Guy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:08 pm

I at last got around to trying this scenario from the Summer Special 2012 (I think).

The Saxons arrived and immediately made for the village and the livestock, the British Warriors tried to intercept and the archers moved out of the tower, but then decided to move back in again as they were almost invincible behind the stone wall. The Saxon hearthguard defeated the Warrior shieldwall and it fled, meanwhile the others had cut out two groups of livestock and were ready to head back to the ships. The remainder of the British arrived, as far away as possible and it looked like an easy victory for the raiders. The British elites dived in and although they managed a couple of casualties on the Saxons they took a bucket load of shock and ran, the Saxon rearguard was by this time fairly thin, the Lord and champion were dead and a further noble seriously wounded. All now relied on the Levy, bolstered by all the British aristocracy two groups charged and destroyed two hearthguard and some warriors. The remaining Saxons now had to relinquish some of their ill gotten gains and make for the boats. The Levy wisely let them go.

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly this game can turn, and once again my Levy come through, my elites lost their amphora without one loss, even my warriors left the field with decent strengths. The Saxons meanwhile took horrendous casualties.

A couple of things about the scenario, for getting in and out of the boats or tower I would -1D6, I would also say that moving the livestock on a boat takes a full turn once after you arrive at a ship. It might be an idea that the Saxons can put the two bases of livestock into one controlled by one group rather than two with two groups once they have captured them.

All in all an excellent game.

EvilGinger

Re: Saxon Shore

Post by EvilGinger » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:54 pm

Very cool I have posted a link to this on my Lardie forum AAR's thread on the Big Bang Burger bar.

:evil: Ginger
Dark lord at large....

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:23 pm

If I had known that I would have put more literary effort in. I had my doubts about this scenario but it played well, the troops in the tower can react almost at once but are of course outnumbered, I sent them forward because thier flanks with the hill and village were fairly safe, sadly they took casualties and as usual in a shieldwall, a lot of shock. True to form with my battles, in the next round it was the Saxons who initiated first, so I couldn't bring the shock down, hence the amphora went west. The same thing happened with the Comitatus (elites) their hits went on the Saxon Lord, Champion and Noble while they took enough shock to again disappear. I can always depend on my Militia Armata (levy) to fight well, sure, they lose at times, but they have their moments, and they are usually spectacular!

WillieB

Post by WillieB » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:22 pm

Good idea about the -1D6 movement. We usually play this with the ships arriving on a sandy beach so the first move for the Saxons is through difficult terrain.
And yes the levies are doing well here too. I'm almost sorry I upgraded one group to Warriors. Almost....
You can't buy honour.

EvilGinger

Post by EvilGinger » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:56 am

Not a bad idea I think to make the Beach area a bit of hard going but not too much as there would be a lot of rough in even the most open ground.

:evil: Ginger
Dark lord at large....

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:46 am

It would seem from this evidence my Warriors actually fought well before running. Meanwhile the rogue's flee with the cattle and the villagers run in the opposite direction.

Axabrax

Post by Axabrax » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:47 pm

I'm a fan of this scenario. Generally speaking I'd like to see more scenarios for this game. It looks like I have the same ships that you do too. (They do very well with nice wood stain by the way.) We also do the same thing and say that the beach slows movement. I'm really surprised that your Warriors lost to the Saxons in shield wall. That's almost unheard of in our games, especially if the numbers are close. I'm curious: did they lose due to shock or to kills? What cards were the Sax fielding? (I could use some tips here as I usually play the Saxons.) thanks for the report!

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:25 pm

I have had shield walls break many a time, mostly due to the amount of shock and the loss of attack dice. In the one above you can see at that point they have 4 and 5 shock respectively so lose 4 dice from combat, this got worse and it was the shock which made them break. The Saxons there have about 7 hearthguard, the Lord and Champion, they did lose men but the hits went on the big men. So slowly but surely the Brits were throwing less than 50% of the dice the Saxons had.

I recently took the Saxons in a new campaign and swiftly hit a shieldwall with the Hearthguard and some nice cards and it crumbled after two rounds of combat. Having said that a two Group Levy shieldwall hit those very same Hearthguards in the picture little later and destroyed them. Go figure.

I have a booklet of 10 raids, a mix of official and unofficial, PM me your email and you can have a copy.

Axabrax

Post by Axabrax » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:22 pm

The problem for me is the kill ratio. In a combat with two groups per side you'll need to do three kills for every one of theirs to break even and four to win. That's too many sixes for me to roll with my luck ;-) I find the only reliable way to break the shield wall is by flanking, which is harder than it sounds due to the randomness inherent in the game, but is very satisfying when it happens!

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:39 pm

I have played the British in two campaigns so far, and have only just started with the Saxons. One player always attempts to flank my shieldwalls, which is why I try to have difficult terrain around and usually move swiftly forward to get the combat started and hopefully won before I am in trouble. It normally works to a point, but I must have luck like yours and he always seems to get the initiative first and I cannot then bring down my shock, ergo I end up losing.