What Weapons for Skirmishers/Missile Troops

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

redmist1122

What Weapons for Skirmishers/Missile Troops

Post by redmist1122 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:04 pm

I got my original Dux rules in about a month ago with one game played, and just now received my Raiders book in; now I'm more confused as to what weapon systems (javelin, sling, bow, crossbow...maybe an Atlatl there), are defined for "Skirmishers" and "Missile" troops.

I know the troop types and their role in other Ancient rule systems, but I'm a bit lost here.

Thanks for your help.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA

JimLeCat

Re: What Weapons for Skirmishers/Missile Troops

Post by JimLeCat » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:01 am

Both are just small groups, mostly of youngsters learning what a battle looks and feels like, not professional troops like you would find in other eras (and rule sets).

Skirmishers use short range thrown weapons, usually javelins, but could be anything thrown by hand. Since they need to get in close, they are ready to run off and reform if threatened, hence they get Evade. Although common sense says what they throw could cause serious harm, the assumption is that they are not really aiming but watching out for attempts to catch them (and throwing taunts as much as physical objects), their targets have time to dodge or block with shields, so actual serious injuries are very rare and their main effect is the disruption they cause, hence they only cause Shock.

Missile troops use appropriate missile weapons for their culture, so usually bows or slings, but could include crossbows, etc. They stand off at a little distance, aiming their shots and try to cause actual harm. Hence, they cause both shock and kills. If any enemy gets close enough to charge them, they scatter and run off, probably happy they've done their bit.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Jim

redmist1122

Re: What Weapons for Skirmishers/Missile Troops

Post by redmist1122 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:49 am

Jim,
Awesome! That will work.

Thank you.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA