Dux Brit Question: Is Losing One's Amphora the same as Rout?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

john de terre neuve

Dux Brit Question: Is Losing One's Amphora the same as Rout?

Post by john de terre neuve » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:43 pm

Part 2 of my last question. A unit that has lost a combat and has withdrawn but was NOT routed, but who has double it shock for number of men is in a state of losing it's amphora, is this the same as rout ie. does it turn around as it bolts off the table?

Thanks,

John
Last edited by john de terre neuve on Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EvilGinger

Re: Dux Brit Question: Is Losing One's Amphora the same as R

Post by EvilGinger » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:42 pm

losing the Amphora requires an amount of shock which is in excess of double the number of men let in a group. Its a lot like rout but its a permanent state where as rout may not be.

:evil: Ginger
Dark lord at large....

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:16 pm

Groups which have twice as many points of shock as men are considered to have misplaced their amphora
.......I think you are adding a word there, "Excess" does not appear in the rule book. Small point!

Anyway, I do take your point about the inability to rally these troops.

Thanks for the clarification.,

John

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:37 pm

If I remember correctly it does say you can rally from rout but doesn't actually tell you how to do it. I seem to remember from the Yahoo Groups that you make one 'rout' move and then it simply stops routing.

Losing One's Amphora is more like the traditional rout move that we all understand, except you do not get to rally or come back, we tend to just take a unit off the table once this happens. The 'rout' move in Dux just seems to be you run away, then stop and have a think about it. If you can then spare a Noble you can take shock off them and maybe get them back in action, in my experience once a unit routs it is mostly used up and useless.

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:01 pm

Thanks again.

It is a great game, but the rule book does suffer from some under explanation!

I am presuming that once you rally off the excess shock (and have shock markers=to men, then you are rallied.

John

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:18 pm

To be honest we have never had many routed groups remain on the table, if you have lost a fight by +3 and Shock exceeds the number of men left and you pick up extra shock, which seems to be the norm, then you normally meet the requirements of Loss of Amphora, end of. As I said after the first rout move it would seem you 'rally' automatically, of course this usually means you are in a pretty dodgy situation with a ton of shock on you, so yes, bring the shock down if you can. All sorts of situations can come out of Dux combats.

And yes, I agree about the book.

EvilGinger

Post by EvilGinger » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:36 pm

I dont think I have had any routs either generally a group is so reduced in number that it loses its Amphora and is off this is often proceeded by a period of the nearest noble burning his command initiative like mad to try and delay this.

Dark lord at large....

WillieB

Post by WillieB » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:18 am

If a group or formation is beaten in combat with a +3 kill difference it retreats at least 6 inches. If any of the groups ( formation has broken up automatically) has excess shock it gets another 2 points of shock and routs a further 2D6. At this point it is quite possible that the survivors have double the amount of shock (eg 3 figures, 6 shock) in which case they 'lose the Amphora' and rout of the table. If not they can still be rallied by a nearby noble and eventually return to the fray.

Main difference is that after a fight the winning side also can have groups with double the amount of shock and these groups will rout as well. However the formation they were in ( if any, and if the remaining formation has at least 2 groups) remains.
You can't buy honour.

EvilGinger

Post by EvilGinger » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:32 pm

Practically not that much except routers may rally & has been said are only found on the losing side. Either side may lose there amphora win or lose its just the amount of shock that counts.

on a related note I have see melles break up several times when troops on both sides pull back due to excess shock.

Last edited by EvilGinger on Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dark lord at large....

DPBax

Post by DPBax » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:57 pm

There is another small difference between routing and just loosing ones amphorae. When your opponent routs there is a chance that the winner has to pursue.
"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." Mark Twain