Dux Brit Question: Combat Result

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

john de terre neuve

Dux Brit Question: Combat Result

Post by john de terre neuve » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:22 pm

Hi,

I wanted to check something. My Angles and Britons had a combat tonight and I was curious if I did it correctly. In the 1st round the Angles lost by 1 man, so the combat was continued in a second round. In this round the Angles lost a further 2 men over the Britons. I counted this as 3+ lost so the Angles routed.

I am presuming this is correct.

Thanks,

John
Last edited by john de terre neuve on Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

captain chook

Re: Dux Brit Question: Combat Result

Post by captain chook » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:03 am

I believe each round of combat is independent (sorry, rules not to hand). In this case, the Angles lost by only 2 in the second round of combat. Also, they will only rout if they have taken excess shock in addition to a loss of 3 in a round of combat.

EvilGinger

Post by EvilGinger » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:41 am

dont add the kills in each round of combat together they are discrete entities in that respect so in the above case the evil Angles lost twice by one and two men and would have suffered the effects of those two results separately & might have held on if they had not taken excess shock during them.

:evil: Ginger
Last edited by EvilGinger on Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dark lord at large....

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:53 am

Thanks, they had taken excess shock so they had routed if the combats were dependent on each other.

Luckily I stopped at that turn so I can still fix things.

I still though have to say that I can see this interpretation if the combat goes to a second turn, but is not the 2 rounds in one turn reflective of a continuos combat thus the results should be dependent on each other and the Angles should indeed rout as they suffered serious loss in "one combat"?

John

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:31 pm

I just realised as I was re-adjusting the Angles withdrawal, that both groups (having lost 3 men each and now down to 3) have six points of shock, so it looks like they have "lost their amphora", so off the table they head!

John

ps I am still though interested in answers to my above question.

EvilGinger

Post by EvilGinger » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:37 pm

You do combat in pairs of tuns but you work out and apply the effects of the first turn before fighting the second & only fight that it the results of the first keep the two sides in contact at the end of the second round apply results of that combat. There is then a lul but the combat may be restarted by any noble in command range of the fight later in the game turn.

excess shock is one more point of shock than the number of men in the group, discarding the Amphora happens when the group has sustained one more point of shock than twice the number of men in the group.

in the case of the Angles 4+ is excess shock 7+ is drop the amphora and run lads.

Dark lord at large....

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:21 pm

..........discarding the Amphora happens when the group has sustained one more point of shock than twice the number of men in the group.
Not really how it is written in the rulebook see page 54.

john

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:50 pm

You are correct, you only need double, not excess. I take it you have just started playing Dux by your questions. I have a double sided playsheet which will save you looking up the book and explains such things as losing the amphora, combat results, how to distribute casualties etc. If you want a copy PM me your email.

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:55 pm

Thanks Old Guy, I am using a playsheet but I am curious about yours, so I will pm you.

This is my second solo game, the Angles got slaughtered in the Church raid in the 2nd turn, so it was very quick, I really focused on the fate cards this game and they are really quite interesting.

Thanks again,

John

EvilGinger

Post by EvilGinger » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:47 pm

Quite honestly I have run it as exceeding since play testing as the other reading does not make sense double is the threshold you have to exceed.

Dark lord at large....