Dux vs the 13th Warrior

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

redmist1122

Dux vs the 13th Warrior

Post by redmist1122 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:33 pm

So last night our group here in Tucson played a Dark Age game with a group members rules and it just had a lot of issues across the board. The said rules covered all the areas of missile combat to shield walls, etc., but ran really clunky. I think the scenery and the tone of the game (13th Warrior) overshadow the quirkiness of the rules. My buddy and I are BIG players of CoC and SP and really enjoy that level of play. Post game we talked about modifying SP for a Viking era set to game this period. Low an behold I see Dux may be the solution to our dilemma.

So after reading various posts here, the Blog-spot and various links from the TFL site, would Dux be suitable for gaming the Viking age? Or game last night yielded 98 figures for the Wendol and 80 for the Vikings, not including leaders for 6-players.

I know the Horns of Power are a bit "fantasy", but I think that can be overcome per the scenario with a historical fanaticism...thought???

Thanks.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA

Archdukek

Re: Dux vs the 13th Warrior

Post by Archdukek » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:57 pm

Greg,
The short answer is yes you can use Dux Brittaniarum for playing games with Viking raiders. Check out Chris Stoesen's excellent article in the Christmas 2012 Special which suggests some modest changes to reflect the Viking Age. Basically you treat the Vikings as Saxons in the original rules, while the later Saxons use the rules for Britons from the original game.
Soon you and your friends will be able to fight over a whale carcass with the rest of us! :D

Not a TFL product but you might want to keep an eye open for the soon to be released "Blood Eagle" rules from the Ministery of Gentlemanly Warfare by Craig Cartmell and Charles Murton of "In Her Majesty's Name" fame. The players in those games will command smaller warbands of 10-15 figures, but can include more legendary/fantasy elements. I've run games of both IHMN and Daisho their other rules with 6-8 players with no problems and I expect to do the same with Blood Eagle.

You can find out more on their blog at www.bloodeagleskirmish.wordpress.com

John

SteveBurt

Re: Dux vs the 13th Warrior

Post by SteveBurt » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:07 am

Other good games for Viking skirmishes would be Saga and Lion Rampant.