Questions: Rally Card and Hill Forts

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

john de terre neuve

Questions: Rally Card and Hill Forts

Post by john de terre neuve » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:08 pm

we had our first game in 2 months in our Iohannes campaign last night, we have now been fighting for 6 years!

The Saxons had a stupendous 7+ victory, we ere a little rusty on the rules but thing went pretty well.

Rally Card: When this is played as a defense at what point is it played in the Combat and can the offensive player change his plan. Last night I was being attacked by the Saxon Hoard, I played my Rally Card and got a 6, so 6 points of shock were removed. At that point the Saxon Attacker decided not to attack as his advantage was gone. Is this OK or does he have to carry out his attack. Part 2, can the rally card be played after the combat results to prevent a unit losing their amphora?

Hill Forts: I had dropped my Morale to Zero, so I could not use my Retreat Cards, but I have a Hill Fort does that count as two points or does it count only when I can use my Retreat Cards.

Tanks,

John
Last edited by john de terre neuve on Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Derek H

Re: Questions: Rally Card and Hill Forts

Post by Derek H » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:58 pm

The Rally card is a non-suit card. it " may be played at any time including
during one of your opponent’s Noble’s activations." So you can play it when your opponent is in contact and it's too late for him to change his mind if you want.

A unit misplaces its amphora when they have "have twice as many points of Shock as men remaining" and then "can no longer be rallied". They get shocked as appropriate when the effect dice are rolled and then cannot be rallied. You could use the card to rally shock off before you opponent rolled his effect dice, but you could only lose shock you had at that point.

I'd allow the Hill Fort to have its effect. Rationalising thathaving a nearby fort would reduce the effectiveness of pursuit even after such a major defeat. But there's no clear answer for that in the rules so you'll have to decide what you think is right for you. I'll add it to the list of questions for Rich.
All the Lard News in one place - Lard Central http://www.netvibes.com/lardcentral
Pimping my blog - Dereks Wee Toys http://dereksweetoys.com/

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:37 pm

Thanks Derek, I will wait to hear about the Hill Forts as you suggest after you have heard from Rich.

One point though the battle was fought in Catterick, but the Hill Fort is in Caer Eburac (I had arbitrarily put it there as I had been previously driven out of Catterick although I subsequently re-captured it), I suspect that this would not count for this battle.

Second point, I agree about the Rally Card, but I now remember that the actual situation was that the Priest had removed the point of shock after the unit had lost it's amphora. Does this change the situation. Are the Priests and Wicca's some how magical in this way?

Thanks again,

John

Derek H

Post by Derek H » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:43 pm

The Hill Fort only counts " If you are retreating in an area with a Hill Fort
or Saxon Fort" (p.65)

The word "friendly" should probably be in there, but there's certainly no bonus if the Hill Fort is in the next door province.

A unit that has Misplaced its Amphora "can no longer be rallied" (p.54) and that's that.
All the Lard News in one place - Lard Central http://www.netvibes.com/lardcentral
Pimping my blog - Dereks Wee Toys http://dereksweetoys.com/

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:42 pm

Thanks Derek, that makes things pretty definite.

John