solo dux

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

andy_cole

solo dux

Post by andy_cole » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:19 am

So as the title says, as i mainly game solo, how suitable is dux brit for solo play.

Archdukek

Re: solo dux

Post by Archdukek » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:55 am

Never tried it, but I think it should work reasonably well for raids at least.

Choice of scenario is randomised as is the location of the raid target and the starting positions of both sides. You also roll to determine how much of a start the attacker has and how many units the defenders can bring on initially. So the starting position in each game is not in your control which is a help for solo play.

Actual game play is alternate action determined by the draw of the cards so you can't predict which leader/Noble or unit will be activated when, again useful for solo play.

The only complication I can see is in the fact that you will know what Fate cards each side has so could use that information to best judge when to play a run of cards which your opponent can't counter. However, if you aim to do your best for whichever side is active I think that could be overcome.

The campaign system is also straightforward and looks to be reasonably solo friendly.

Why not give it a try and let us know how you get on.

John

andy_cole

Post by andy_cole » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:53 am

That all sounds good, I'm quite happy playing Coc, Q13 and iabsm solo using the excellent platoon forward so now i have to decide 15 or 28mm....

andy_cole

Post by andy_cole » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:06 pm

Hmmm well i was hard to persuade! I've ordered the mega starter set all in one jobby, just need to intercept the postie now. :D

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:40 pm

Don't worry Andy you'll enjoy it when it comes.
Warbases do a nice line in movement trays which save time when moving figures.
John

agent_pumpkin

Post by agent_pumpkin » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:52 pm

I've played it solo. The campaign needs tinkering with for solo play, but individual battles play solo very well. Its the magic cards system! :)
Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

andy_cole

Post by andy_cole » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:46 pm

care to share your thoughts on the campaign system EG?
i have a large warbases order on it's way to me, just trying to clear my painting desk now.

i'll try to keep an update going on here, it may even motivate me a bit to keep painting

agent_pumpkin

Post by agent_pumpkin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:52 pm

Nope! I have yet to tinker with mine! :) Also I'm going to use Dux for Dark Age/Early Medieval (probably mixed up with some bits from SP) so I would need to play around with career paths anyway.
Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

andy_cole

Post by andy_cole » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:15 am

Just received my starter set and very happy, don't think the postie was impressed with the weight of lead.
Rule book looks lovely, as do the maps, and the gripping beast figures are great.
I might try and use this thread to record my progress and keep me motivated

agent_pumpkin

Post by agent_pumpkin » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:43 am

I shall shout encouraging things from the sidelines then..! ;)