Campaign Outcome for Border Tower Scenario

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

captain chook

Campaign Outcome for Border Tower Scenario

Post by captain chook » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:33 pm

I recently played the Border Tower scenario. The Saxons managed to overwhelm a formation of Romano-British and their noble (the Saxons had over 3 times the RBs dice in combat). This won the game, and resulted in the capture of 10 warriors (the other two were dead) and the noble.
Victory conditions are the capture of the noble (2 points. Do the captured warriors count as casualties (a total of 12 figures dead and captured) and therefore another 2 points?

JimLeCat

Re: Campaign Outcome for Border Tower Scenario

Post by JimLeCat » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:44 pm

Whatever feels right to you really, it's your game, but I guess I would say yes, since they were lost to the RB...

Lucky Saxons, mind! I've never got close to anything like that dramatic and convincing a win! ;^)

Cheers,
Jim

EvilGinger

Post by EvilGinger » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:46 pm

Neither have I crushed the Saxons that convincingly

:evil: Ginger
Dark lord at large....

TroubleAtTheMill

Post by TroubleAtTheMill » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:52 pm

I've come close a couple of times :D
Mike Whitaker
Blog: http://troubleatthemill.blogspot.com/
Podcast: The Miller's Tale (see blog)
Club: http://www.peterborough-wargames-club.org.uk/

captain chook

Post by captain chook » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:30 pm

Saxons were lucky to be deployed near the RBs, but also between them and safety.
RBs had atrocious movement rolls, so they ended up with 2 units of warriors facing 2 elite and 2 warriors (with the third warrior group threatening to attack them in the rear).
From this point, numbers were easy. Game was over in about 4-5 moves.

We replayed the game, this time the RBs outpaced the Saxons and met up with their friends. Once they formed up in shield wall with flanks protected by terrain it was impossible for the Saxons to win.

In the campaign, so far, we have had an almost bloodless win to the Saxons (cattle raid), victory to the RBs in a church raid, and then two further Saxon victories - farm raid and now the border tower scenario. Biggest win has been by 4 points (if we count the captured warriors in the points calculations). The only extra figures/forces are to the RBs who have a priest for their efforts at the church.

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:05 pm

I thought this a hard game for the Saxons to win, however, after feeling sorry for them I eventually lost this twice, once having my Lord captured. It's a long story and ended up with my Comitatus being blamed and demoted, they have yet to regain their former glory.

This is really a capture raid and not one on a watchtower, there should be a raid on a watchtower where the object is to raise such to the ground and prevent the Romano-Brits from using the advantages given by the said watchtower.

WillieB

Post by WillieB » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:40 am

Old Guy wrote:I thought this a hard game for the Saxons to win, however, after feeling sorry for them I eventually lost this twice, once having my Lord captured. It's a long story and ended up with my Comitatus being blamed and demoted, they have yet to regain their former glory.

This is really a capture raid and not one on a watchtower, there should be a raid on a watchtower where the object is to raise such to the ground and prevent the Romano-Brits from using the advantages given by the said watchtower.
George Anderson made a few really good additional scenarios( which in fact we use as alternatives to the 'regular' ones) and one of them is exactly that.

Watchtower with pallisade manned by 3 levy groups and a Noble.
The Saxons attack from both sides and have to set fire to the watchtower.
The rest of the Romano British army appears on turn 3 (long edge of the table) but can move 4D6 if not in formation.

Campaign note: if the watchtower is destroyed the RB player loses his early warning system for that province.
You can't buy honour.

TroubleAtTheMill

Post by TroubleAtTheMill » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:05 am

You ought to write those up for the next Christmas special. ;)
Mike Whitaker
Blog: http://troubleatthemill.blogspot.com/
Podcast: The Miller's Tale (see blog)
Club: http://www.peterborough-wargames-club.org.uk/

EvilGinger

Post by EvilGinger » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:54 am

I agree & I rather like the scenario outlined as well

:evil: Ginger
Dark lord at large....

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:07 pm

I am quite happy to share them if anyone wants them. As for Christmas I am working on a series of booklets on Confederate Infantry Flags carried at Gettysburg which I hope to get out by then.