Honourable Irish?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

LancasterMatt

Honourable Irish?

Post by LancasterMatt » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:23 am

Fought a raid last night with my Irish against the British of North Rheged.

The way the scenario rolled I deemed it unwinnable.

The British reinforcements came on board directly into the village which was my objective. So by turn 2 the British were dug in - in shieldwall behind significant cover. So the Irish did the only sensible thing and walked off the table - got back into their corracles and went in search of an easier target.

As the rules are written the Irish should have gained 2 men - encouraged by easy pickings.

I deemed this unfair on the more civilised factions and decided that this should only be awarded if the scenario was won. Is this right - or am I just being soft?

Perhaps I am disappointed that my followers considered me stupid - rather than honourable - so Ruadhri Uh Donndubhán is still a man with no honour.

I did get wind that Richard was considering introducing other mechanisms for gaining honour. Is this still on the cards?

PaulJ

Re: Honourable Irish?

Post by PaulJ » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:40 am

This does need clearing up as I have just reread the rules on this and it does not mention winning the raid in order to get the extra men although that is how I read it initially. It is however implied by the mention of riches for little risk! So do you need to win the scenario or not?

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:04 pm

I think Matt is doing the Honourable thing and a win is required. No doubt somewhere in Wargaming World there is a player who would be happy to come along, play the game, run off the table, or lose half heartedly while keeping his warriors out of harms way, then grow a huge army until he deemed it possible to destroy everyone.

OK he wouldn't last long on the Christmas list, but Matt's solution stops this.

On an aside, I find extremely difficult to get two extra guys, and I have them all painted up ready to go, they sit along with my extra warriors, cavalry, skirmishers and missile troops so they may have to turn their weapons into ploughshares or perhaps they would be of more use in Gaul :(

PaulJ

Post by PaulJ » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:51 am

I think you do have to win otherwise your troops regard it as risk for no reward, rather than reward for little risk, if you aren't carrying off the loot what is there to give them.
Matt and I have same issue with gaining honour Rich please come up with another method as well as wounds, a pict lord who pretty much has to be with his raiders, doesn't have that many deaths in his group as raiders are tough. Several months into a campaign and my skin is baby smooth and unblemished. Promotion is unlikely before I die of old age!

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:31 am

Until it is settled how about getting a point of honour for a decisive win, possibly +4 and above?

PaulJ

Post by PaulJ » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:23 pm

Frankly I would be happy with that or even 5+ since that's when you normally start to attract extra men.

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:39 am

You've got to win! Otherwise we'd all run off for the first fifty games until we amassed another hundred blokes!

Rich

Derek H

Post by Derek H » Fri May 22, 2015 9:20 am

Threadomancy. Lancaster Matt probably couldn't win the game, but he missed a major opportunity to get an honour point.

Charge the Lord on his own into the Shield Wall after playing the Darting Blow card.

British will get seven or eight dice (depending whether or not he hits the end of the shieldwall) probably 3 or 4 hits so there's a decent chance of a kill on the Lord He takes the hit, bounces back 2D6" then leaves the table with the rest of his troops and an honour point. Very small chance of taking the four hits that would get him killed.

Not sensible to try this in close proximity to enemy cavalry though. That sort of behaviour can get you killed.

When playing my Scotti I consider voluntarily withdrawing with an honour point a win in campaign terms - certainly if I already have the money needed to pay my end of year tribute.
All the Lard News in one place - Lard Central http://www.netvibes.com/lardcentral
Pimping my blog - Dereks Wee Toys http://dereksweetoys.com/

Peter

Post by Peter » Fri May 22, 2015 12:41 pm

I'm still not altogether convinced by the need to take wounds for glory points to accumulate. However, the idea of a lone Lord charging a shieldwall does bring on visions of a somewhat crazed gang-leader being watched by his fellow gang-members:
"He's mad, him".
"Aye, he's the hard man. Better do as he says or it'll be you he's after".

Perhaps not an unreasonable interpretation of warfare at this level.

Derek H

Post by Derek H » Fri May 22, 2015 1:15 pm

I think the honour system is somewhat underdeveloped :-)

My opponent was very charitable last night, he shot at my Lord with his Missiles and scored two kills. I passed one on and my Champion died, as when it happened I still had high hopes of victory. My plans did not work out and I wish I'd just taken the two hits and the two points of honour and buggered off immediately.
All the Lard News in one place - Lard Central http://www.netvibes.com/lardcentral
Pimping my blog - Dereks Wee Toys http://dereksweetoys.com/