Are raiders really brittle?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Ossie

Are raiders really brittle?

Post by Ossie » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:46 pm

Hi
I have just purchased a copy of the Raiders rules and it seems that raiders get a number of advantages but are supposed to be brittle in close combat but I cannot see how, they only retire 1" per excess point of shock the same as elite and if they retire more than 2" they have broken contact, I cannot see how this classes them as brittle. Please help.

JimLeCat

Re: Are raiders really brittle?

Post by JimLeCat » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:45 pm

Hi,

I haven't played Dux Brit for at least 2 or 3 years, but from memory what makes them brittle is firstly that while they only die on a 6 in combat, they accumulate shock on a 3,4,5 and secondly their forces lack the leadership that allow the saxons and romano-british to rally shock off. They have fewer leaders available (or one of them is only level 1 and only commands the skirmishers), plus they start with mounted troops as well as foot, forcing the player to decide whether to keep both his remaining leaders with the foot or split them. The result of the former is the mounted troops are of limited effectiveness while the latter results in one level 2 leader trying to manage 3 or 4 groups of foot, in which case shock will likely spiral out of control.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Jim

Ossie

Post by Ossie » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:24 pm

Thanks, I think that seems to be a very good explanation.

tonicnh

Post by tonicnh » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:57 pm

I was going to say thery're buggers to kill but easier to shock (and less able to recover from shock) but I think JimLeCat did a better job that I could