Newbie questions

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

pw4379

Newbie questions

Post by pw4379 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:18 pm

I have just completed my first game of Dux with a friend, and while we very much enjoyed the game it raised a number of questions that we could do with some help on.

1 Fate Cards
a)Do these have to be played in a specific order? For example the British player may wish to hold back a Shield Wall Braced card until the Saxon player plays an Aggressive Charge card to negate it.
Or the British player may play may try to play Hero of the Age only to find the Saxon plays Disengage. What happens to the Hero of the Age card then? Does the player retain the card as it has not been used or is it put in the ‘discard pack’ and in effect ‘lost’ even though it has not been used?

b)Does the Shieldwall Braced effect both rounds of combat if there is no result in the first round?

c)There does not seem to be any purpose to the actual suit of the cards. I understand that you can play only non-suited cards out of turn and that the Shieldwall braced can only be used by the British, but is there any point to the actual suit? (and the rules on page 34 re duplicate effects when playing a Carpe Diem)

2. Use of Initiative
Can you use more than one initiative point for the same effect, e.g draw more than one Fate card or rally more than one shock point?
If you can use two initiatives to rally two shock points, must they be from different groups or could you rally two (or more) shock points from the same group

3. Command Structure
a) Can groups from two different commands (i.e. allocated to two different nobles,as per the ‘chain of command’ rules discussed in a recent post) make one formation? Specifically can two units (from different commands) join to make a Shieldwall (obviously they cannot then move).
b) If the Lord moves a group allocated to one of his nobles, does that count as the activation of the noble to which that group belongs, or when his card is turned can he activate any other units he has, draw Fate card etc as normal?

As an aside we also found that when fighting a Shieldwall it is better to get a Shock result than a Kill, as the first kill is ignored. Seems a bit weird?

I also have some questions relating to the campaign side of things which I will post separately.

Many thanks in advance for any help, - keen to get it right!

TroubleAtTheMill

Re: Newbie questions

Post by TroubleAtTheMill » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:37 pm

pw4379 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:18 pm
I have just completed my first game of Dux with a friend, and while we very much enjoyed the game it raised a number of questions that we could do with some help on.
Answers inline:
1 Fate Cards
a)Do these have to be played in a specific order? For example the British player may wish to hold back a Shield Wall Braced card until the Saxon player plays an Aggressive Charge card to negate it.
Or the British player may play may try to play Hero of the Age only to find the Saxon plays Disengage. What happens to the Hero of the Age card then? Does the player retain the card as it has not been used or is it put in the ‘discard pack’ and in effect ‘lost’ even though it has not been used?
We play that the attacker must lay out their cards first, and that if events mean that any of the cards they play would not be able to be used, they can be taken back into their hand. I believe this is how it's meant to work.
b)Does the Shieldwall Braced effect both rounds of combat if there is no result in the first round?
Only the first round - ditto most other cards. This does appear not to be clear in the rules, unless I'm missing it :D One for the Compendium unless someone can point me at the page reference I'm missing :D
c)There does not seem to be any purpose to the actual suit of the cards. I understand that you can play only non-suited cards out of turn and that the Shieldwall braced can only be used by the British, but is there any point to the actual suit? (and the rules on page 34 re duplicate effects when playing a Carpe Diem)
See page 34-5 :
If the British player uses a Carpe Diem card to play multiple cards, each Dragon card played will, in addition to its inherent effect, allow him to add an additional 1D6 in the first round of the ensuing combat. Similarly the Saxon player will add 1D6 for each card played marked with the Boar.
Interesting, I'd not noticed the first clause there, that it only applies if you play the Carpe Diem.
2. Use of Initiative
Can you use more than one initiative point for the same effect, e.g draw more than one Fate card or rally more than one shock point?
If you can use two initiatives to rally two shock points, must they be from different groups or could you rally two (or more) shock points from the same group
You can only draw one Fate card (has to be with your FIRST initiative). You can certainly rally multiple shock points from the same group.
3. Command Structure
a) Can groups from two different commands (i.e. allocated to two different nobles,as per the ‘chain of command’ rules discussed in a recent post) make one formation? Specifically can two units (from different commands) join to make a Shieldwall (obviously they cannot then move).
Yes - one Noble will then be in command of the combined Formation, and the other can wander off or join the fight or rally shock...
b) If the Lord moves a group allocated to one of his nobles, does that count as the activation of the noble to which that group belongs, or when his card is turned can he activate any other units he has, draw Fate card etc as normal?
It counts as the activation of the Group. The Noble is still free to use their actions to do other things.
As an aside we also found that when fighting a Shieldwall it is better to get a Shock result than a Kill, as the first kill is ignored. Seems a bit weird?
Shock's a bit of an abstraction of morale etc, but yes, that's intended behaviour.
I also have some questions relating to the campaign side of things which I will post separately.

Many thanks in advance for any help, - keen to get it right!
Mike Whitaker
Blog: http://troubleatthemill.blogspot.com/
Podcast: The Miller's Tale (see blog)
Club: http://www.peterborough-wargames-club.org.uk/

TroubleAtTheMill

Re: Newbie questions

Post by TroubleAtTheMill » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:48 pm

TroubleAtTheMill wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:37 pm
pw4379 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:18 pm
Shock's a bit of an abstraction of morale etc, but yes, that's intended behaviour.
And this is why A Strong Arm is a really handy tactic for dealing with Shieldwall, especially if you can save a Carpe Diem and a Bounding Move to play as well to make sure you get in there :D
Mike Whitaker
Blog: http://troubleatthemill.blogspot.com/
Podcast: The Miller's Tale (see blog)
Club: http://www.peterborough-wargames-club.org.uk/