Campaign Year

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Gunner

Campaign Year

Post by Gunner »

About to have our first run through of Dux. Not sure of how the campaign year is worked out. Is it @ctual physical months or ju st a pen and paper exercise? Would really appreciate some comments regarding how the year works.

Many thanks
jarhead60mm

Re: Campaign Year

Post by jarhead60mm »

Gunner,

The campaign year starts in March and goes thru October. So your first raid or battle would be in March. Your recovery time between raids or battles is based on the Raid Results Table (pg. 58) or Battle Results Table (pg. 59). The table will tell you when your next action would take place.

Example. I conduct a successful raid in March and the result is a +2 victory with heavy losses. My recovery time is 2 months. I would not be able to raid again until May.

After October you go to Annual Events (pg. 67). As you can see under Plague & Pestilence your recovery times will double with a roll of 11 or 12. In one campaign we had a year of plague and pestilence and only fought twice that year.

Hope the above helps.

Terry
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Gunner,
Just to add a small comment to Terry's excellent reply. The rules assume that raids happen at the start of the month so a two month delay before you can raid again includes the month the raid happens in. So in Terry's example the raid happens at beginning of March, recovery takes up the rest of March and April, so you can raid again in May. This confused us at first, but it lets you get more action in.

John
JimLeCat

Post by JimLeCat »

Hi John,

Yes, the rules do say that, but we decided to house rule that the current month wasn't included, otherwise the higher level 'recover immediately' results are no better than the 'recover in one month' results, given the saxons cannot raid more than once a month.

Cheers
Jim
Gunner

Post by Gunner »

Brilliant gents thanks for your time.
jarhead60mm

Post by jarhead60mm »

Jim,

Good point on the recovery time for immediate and 1 month. We haven't run into that yet as our losses our usually moderate or heavy. I'm going to bring this up at our next game.

Terry
Forst

Post by Forst »

An alternative interpretation is that with immediate recovery you can do a raid or battle/exploitation as a second action in the same month?