Reviews of Q13

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Nosher

Reviews of Q13

Post by Nosher » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:13 pm

Hi all

any reviews anywehere of this ruleset? I currently play FWC but as much as I like BKC FWC just doesn't work for me :(

I'd like to get some use out of my Pax Arcadians, Kraytonians, Andrayans, Not Space Marines, Not Space Orks, Not Squats and my Colonial Marines and Aliens.

How do these rules stack up?

Thanks in advance
Nosher

EvilGinger

Re: Reviews of Q13

Post by EvilGinger » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:31 pm

I have them and they are in my opinion rather good as are most thing lardie the core engine of the rules is taken form IABSM3 & CDS so its sound and it works.

The real core of the rules however not the combat section but the one which allows you to create any science fiction force you can think of. they work as well for the Science fantasy of the 40k universe and the like as they do for more hard science fiction backgrounds. All it takes is a knowledge of those backgrounds and a bit of creativity.

The only reviews I am aware off rather misses the point and is by some one who has not played them, and seems a bit shocked by how different they are from the rather vanilla type of rules he is used to. Personalty whilst I am yet to take them pout in public, mostly because I have not got any forces to hand for them which wouldn't be looted form GW stuff but the test plays of them I have done lead me to believe they are well in the league of the old gold standard Stargrunt II & better at handling the all round battle including air elements they they are as well as dealing with a greater volume of armour more easily.

Robert Avery who wrote them has a lot of battle reports for them on his site as well as supporting stuff like sample army lists a spreadsheet form for laying out your force and that sort of thing just go to

http://vislardica.com/

Roberts intro to Q13 is here

http://vislardica.com/GYFTOOMF/gyftoomf_home_page.htm

I hope that helps.

:evil: Ginger
Dark lord at large....

Nosher

Post by Nosher » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:13 pm

Interesting to see that this can accomodate Human forces v Alien invader type games.

Bit put off that I might need to do lots of homework 'creating' forces, but I think I might give these a punt given the small cost output.

Are the rules available in hardback? looks like there is only pdf and I'm too tight to print off 100+ page booklets :lol:

Chris Gilbride

Post by Chris Gilbride » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:18 pm

PDF only I'm afraid.
You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!

EvilGinger

Post by EvilGinger » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:20 pm

Sadly its PDF only at the moment I printed a copy off & its quite printer friendly even in colour

The doing your home work is very limited I either worked form my own imagination or took another systems army book & worked through it deciding what the reliant values should be for Q13 its not that hard or long winded & you get something which fits your conception of a force so even in far science fantasy like 40k its possible to play the period not the rules.

Dark lord at large....

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:37 pm

I take my TFL PDFs to the local office megamart and B&W print them out for a low enough cost that I can afford plastic covers and bindings.

Made the error of getting TW&T printed out in full, in color. That price was quite obnoxious. But it was my mistake, I should have printed out the rules and kept the national stuff unprinted.

EvilGinger

Post by EvilGinger » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:43 pm

I have the delight of running a business from home so have a decent printer so I tend to do do the printing myself & stick the results into a display folder. When I get the cash I may very well try to talk Richard & Robert into doing a hard copy print run of this and some of the other PDF only good stuff.

Dark lord at large....