If I Wanted To Play The 30 Years War....

Your outlet for items not relating to TFL rules!

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

John Thomas8

If I Wanted To Play The 30 Years War....

Post by John Thomas8 »

.....what's a good rule set for it?

I've got a bunch 'o Swedish troops and am up for collecting the rest of the participants, too.

SteveBurt

Re: If I Wanted To Play The 30 Years War....

Post by SteveBurt »

Field of Glory:Renaissance is a very good set of rules, which certainly works for TYW.

DBR is also quite good if you want an element based set, rather than unit based (but play in Condensed scale - it works much better)

topi

Post by topi »

Piquet and Anchor of Fate supplement would be my choice. Takes few games to learn the rules, but the card based activation system is nice.

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 »

What scale of figures and battle are you looking for?

"Folorn Hope" designed for mid-sized ECW battles in 15/28mm are a good set of rules with period feel. "Polemos ECW" are designed for larger battles using 6mm but readily adaptable.

For skirmishes involving up to a few hundred men per side (anything from 1:1 to 1:10 scale), adapt "Sharp Practice"

And, of course "In The Buff" would be the best rules for the period, ever, but you'll have to nag Richard about them!

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

I've given up nagging Rich for anything. When he gets in the mood for the period he'll pound out an awesome game for it.

I've 30-40 Swedish infantry, a dozen or so cav and 2 cannon, limbeers and crew. 1/72 plastics. Probably don't want to go much more than that for them or their opponents.

agent_pumpkin

Post by agent_pumpkin »

Sounds a perfect number of figures for a TYW Sharp Practice homebrew type thing. Pike and Shotte by Warlord games might be worth a try as well..?
Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

Sigur

Post by Sigur »

Chiming in a bit late here but I think that an adapted Sharp Practice probably is the way to go.

I'm a big fan of Pike&Shotte myself but that game requires large armies and large tables and personally I prefer playing it at 10mm scale rather than 1/72th. In a similar vein as Pike&Shotte is Father Tilly. I bought the rulebook and some supplements but never really got to play it. However, it looks like a very nice set of rules as well and does some things differently than P&S does.

agent_pumpkin

Post by agent_pumpkin »

I think if I was going to use Pike & Shotte I would do it in 6mm.

Of course In the Buff will be much, much better! :)

With 1/72nd, like 28mm you are probably better off with amending Sharp Practice. There is a great new thread about one new homebrew project here:-

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1138
Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

agent_pumpkin wrote:
Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:34 am
I think if I was going to use Pike & Shotte I would do it in 6mm.
Resurrecting this old thread as I was thinking of getting into the TYW/ECW. Seen Sidney Roundwood’s stuff on 2mm, but it’s just too tiny for me.

So, would 6mm work for reconstructing the larger battles of the period on, say, a 7’x4’ table? Which, if any, are the favoured rules?

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 »

Take a look at “For King & Parliament”, the ECW version of ‘To the Strongest’. They’ve just released a supplement for Edgehill, which should give you a good idea of its suitability for 6mm games.