Quick wargames for kids?

Your outlet for items not relating to TFL rules!

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

jafo

Quick wargames for kids?

Post by jafo » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:14 pm

Anyone have any experience of historically based wargames that would be suitable for use in a classroom? Game length'd have to be 30-40 minutes max to fit into a lesson.

(This spawned out of a chat with a history teacher friend of mine about the appreciation for history that wargaming has given me over the years)

EvilGinger

Re: Quick wargames for kids?

Post by EvilGinger » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:00 am

I would go for DBA its a good fun quick game even if it is very abstracted - Hordes of the things is even better as kids can make up their own armies out of practicality any thing it can also be played and enjoyed by seven year olds.

:evil: Ginger
Dark lord at large....

sunjester

Post by sunjester » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:12 am

I'll second EvilGinger on DBA/HOTT. Personally I prefer HOTT, even for historical games (Yes, there are subtle differences!). It's what I've used for pre-gunpowder games on my Tabletop Generals courses in the past with kids aged 9+.

Graham

jafo

Post by jafo » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:21 am

I'll have a look at that.

Any more modern quick playable games out there? (WW1/WW2 are part of a strand in some syllabi 'Technology and Warfare')

NTM

Post by NTM » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:39 am

Charles Grant's Battle Practical Wargaming should fit the bill. Downlaod it for free here;

http://wargaming.info/2011/charles-gran ... wargaming/

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:57 am

If you are not restricting this to land warfare I would strongly recommend Wings of Glory using their WW1 or WW2 planes. Our experience has been that kids pick up the rules incredibly quickly. The plane models look great and there are all kinds of links you can make to the technology of flight.
With the anniversary of the start of WW1 approaching I would go with those.

EvilGinger

Post by EvilGinger » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:19 am

Having been shot down twice by an 8 year old i can attest to that the planes are also nice attractive models for a child & given that it is first and foremost a game it gives a game with a good WWI air war feel all the same. there are enough planes of various periods of the war about that you can give a child a feel of how technology evolved over the war & how it impacted air warfare in particular.

Dark lord at large....

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:52 pm

Tell me about it. I had my Gotha bomber swarmed by an 8 year old and 2 10 year olds in Camels. The 8 year old finally shot it down. Mind you their mothers and elder sister had just as much fun trying to shoot the boys down. The joys of public participation wargames.
John

EvilGinger

Post by EvilGinger » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:57 pm

not historical but the Star wars gamer X-wing also plays rather well & is at its heart an air combat game with the serial numbers filed off.

Dark lord at large....

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:16 am

Take a look at www.juniorgeneral.org - it's exactly what you're looking for (and lots of useful material for grumpy old gamers as well)