Nuts!?

Your outlet for items not relating to TFL rules!

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Capt Fortier

Nuts!?

Post by Capt Fortier »

Are there any folk on the forum who have any experience of the "Nuts!" wargaming system? I have been looking at doing some solo raiding games using the Special Boat Squadron in the Aegean and wanted to use CoC but not sure how well it works for stealth &c, and then saw some reviews of "Nuts!" but hard to get a sense of how it plays. Would welcome views.
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
7dot62mm

Re: Nuts!?

Post by 7dot62mm »

I played maybe three games of Nuts ten, fifteen years ago. It is based on the Chain Reaction game system. I didn't like it for WWII. It is of a smaller scale than CoC, two squad-sized units per side maybe, with RPG elements (each figure has a characteristic edge or disadvantage). Major failings included - I felt - the chain reaction system where if your LMG gunner deploys his bipod, he immediately draws the fire of every enemy within LOS (deploying bipod is equivalent to opening fire). I didn't see much in the way of historical tactics. Damage to personnel depends - like everything else - on the figure's REP (reputation). Nice stuff included a random reinforcement system where your Soviet half-platoon could suddenly get an ISU-152 as support in the middle of the game.
Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

Many thanks for the feedback 7dot62mm. It was in part the small squad size of "Nuts!" and its' reaction system that was of interest for what I had in mind, and even some of the RPG elements, which I thought might help for throwing in some more variation for solo play. But your comments about its sense of historical realism and the role of REP marry with what I was seeing and confirms some of my doubts.
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
GavinP

Post by GavinP »

I've played quite a bit of FNG which is the same core system. The changes in the most recent edition devolved the game for me into die rolling hell.

At it's heart, there's a really neat system trying to get out, I just didn't think it ever made it. It would still be my go to for 28mm Vietnam Skirmish rules however.

IIRC you can download Chain reaction for free and get a look at the mechanics.
Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

Thanks GavinP - it does seem to have a lot of tables for specific dice rolls that looks like a lot of cross-referencing - but I do like the solo and RPG elements.
Capt Fortier