New Blog - Getting back into Miniatures and the FIW

Your outlet for items not relating to TFL rules!

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

CentralCoastCorsair

New Blog - Getting back into Miniatures and the FIW

Post by CentralCoastCorsair » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:09 am

I've just started a new blog where I detail my return to miniatures gaming with Sharp Practice and the French & Indian war in 28mm. I've not painted anything larger than 15mm infantry and vehicles for many years and due to a change in personal circumstances, I'm effectively starting from scratch again.

I'm chronicling the steps along the way so I can keep focused without losing motivation.

Initially I'll try and post at least once a day while I get things organised with a long term goal of at least one post per week.

Please feel free to follow along with me at:

https://panzerschreckds.blogspot.com/

Pete

CentralCoastCorsair

Re: New Blog - Getting back into Miniatures and the FIW

Post by CentralCoastCorsair » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:19 am

Updated with a bit of an essay outlining the decision process on choosing both a period and the rules.
Hope someone finds it interesting.

https://panzerschreckds.blogspot.com/20 ... eriod.html

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:17 am

Will be intersted to see how you find SP2 and how it works for FIW.

I played M&T for years and enjoyed it (hate SAGA M&T is nothing like it).

Stopped playing when the local players swapped to Black Powder and/or SP2 as the scale and complexity didn't grab me.
YMMV.

Now if Rich did a CoC type game for FIW I would be there in a flash

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:47 am

Who are you looking at for miniatures?
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:36 pm

I'll be interested to follow your progress. I've been thinking about reaching back from Napoleonics for a while and am debating between FIW or AWI. I'm sure SP2 will give you plenty of scope given your stated preferences for more narrative gaming.
Capt Fortier

“Un optimiste, c'est un homme qui plante deux glands et qui s'achète un hamac.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Peter

Post by Peter » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:36 pm

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:17 am
I'm not Richard but...
Sharpe's Chain:
- Roll 5D6 for command (or possibly a die per leader... discuss)
- Leaders rated as 2-5 rather than 1-4, with 5 being rare (testing might show this to be OTT)
- Leader is activated with a die equal to or less than their rating. The die result is the number of actions available
- Die result of 6 gets a command card. Up to 4 can be accumulated, any extra are lost. Three sixes chapter end?
- Use of three cards to activate a leader grants them their maximum number of command points. You still need four cards to activate leaders twice in a phase, again a maximum command points
- 2 command points are required to activate a unit to which the leader is not attached (goes some way to alleviate higher CP values, and makes attaching to a formation more worthwhile; I might consider it for SP2)
- Uncommanded cavalry slow down by 1 speed level and move straight forward at new speed.

It does mean that one side gets to shoot everything it can before the other replies, and there is less tension as to whether/when your big formation gets to act. I'm not sure I'll be testing it any time soon, TT, but be my guest!

Peter

mugginns

Post by mugginns » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:13 pm

Added this to my blog list. Great job!

CentralCoastCorsair

Post by CentralCoastCorsair » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:40 pm

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:47 am
Who are you looking at for miniatures?
The actual armies will be AW miniatures - I'm starting with a couple of the SP2 force packs they offer. In the meantime I've grabbed some Conquest/Warlord packs to provide a few figures to get me into the groove of painting 28mm again - mainly the settlers, civilians and personalities packs. That should allow me to get comfortable with the process again before the major orders arrive - the budget is structured to permit a miniatures purchase every 2 months - the goal is to hopefully paint 6-12 figures a week.

I still have to buy some reference books, but Kronoskaf will be my biggest help here painting wise

CentralCoastCorsair

Post by CentralCoastCorsair » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:47 pm

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:17 am
Will be intersted to see how you find SP2 and how it works for FIW.

I played M&T for years and enjoyed it (hate SAGA M&T is nothing like it).

Stopped playing when the local players swapped to Black Powder and/or SP2 as the scale and complexity didn't grab me.
YMMV.

Thanks for the clarification about M&T. I'm pretty certain that as AWI works so well at that level, then FIW will if anything be even more of a good fit. I'm lucky that I have the opportunity to chat with Mark (Tactical Painter) and his oppo Dave, who I've known for a few years via ASL and the Paddington Bears. To be honest, the choice of SP2 was heavily influenced by them anyway, but as both of the local clubs up my way have a fairly active SP2 player base, I'm unlikely to have issues getting games once I've got some figures painted and based.

CentralCoastCorsair

Post by CentralCoastCorsair » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:38 pm

mugginns wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:13 pm
Added this to my blog list. Great job!
Many thanks.