Strange Encounter at Chateau Woelfling.

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

sid

Strange Encounter at Chateau Woelfling.

Post by sid »

Variation on a Theme or Strange Encounter at Chateau Woelfling.

For some time I have been thinking how to introduce a Weird World Wear theme to CoC so eventually drafted a set of rules for Zombies and Werewolves within CoC, which I have unimaginatively penned as Chain of Command Undead Paranormal.

After drafting the rules I arranged a game down the Swansea club with my regular opponent who is presently handing me ny nether regions in the 29 Lets Go Pint sized Campaign. The idea was to tell him we had a couple of experimental rules to see how they would go. He agreed the rules he thought were being tested related to a resistance fighter. These were

The first Allied infantry unit to enter the table is accompanied by a single elite scout figure armed with a SMG. This is Marie the brave and beautiful resistance fighter. She has local knowledge so will always count as moving tactically unless she fires (even if she moves 3d6). However she cannot take or obstruct enemy jump off points (she is simply not that kind of girl, she is a lover not a fighter). Any US Unit she is attached to will also count as moving tactically.
If she is eliminated, apart from breaking the hearts of a dozen soldiers the Allied player will not suffer a drop in morale. However as the Allies have lost their guide the Germans may move any single objective as if they had used a CoC dice (without of course expending a CoC dice). The Germans may not move the Objective JOP.

What he did not know was that he would be up against a couple of evil Nazi scientists together with their walking dead. Being half French he used his Free French Infantry (as we are quite idle these were treated as normal US infantry).

I thought the table set up was a clue, nothing ever good comes in a Castle in WWII. He was told the hole in the castle wall and the craters in the wire was caused by a preliminary bombardment, all good so far.

[URL=http://s765.photobucket.com/user/s ... .jpg[/img][/url]

Or even the liberally scattered sign posts. He did text these to a German speaking friend of his (allowed as we assumed he was radioing back to the Company CP to see if anyone could translate – however the text came back only after he encountered his first Zombies).

We played scenario 6, taking an objective. This was placed in the castle gate so he assumed it was his way of taking control of the castle. However in this case it was literally a gate, the gate the Nazi scientists used to power their control of the undead. All he had to do was move on it, then pop a couple of grenades down the pit to close it up.

The JPO were as below, The French 3rd JOP was in the cream farm house and the German ones were the main Objective in the Castle gate way, one on top the tower, one in the craters below the tower (obscured by the Forest) and one in the woods to the right of the burning tank.

The early phases were straightforward as I let him move his JOP close to the Castle wall. He deployed a couple of squads. Note the resistance fighter Marie in a fetching Cherry Beret, after deployment she popped into the farmhouse to avoid all the noise and chaos, an act she would later regret.

As far as he was aware the Germans also simply deployed a couple of Sections. Maybe the fact I used my German Infantry figures confused him. The Germans deployed two sections and a SL in the woods.

He deployed a 50 Cal in the building and opened up doing very little damage. As the Germans got closer, only then, was he told of the Zombies as I replaced my Grenadiers figures with Zombie models. The French units then took an amount of shock as the horror of their situation dawned on them. The SL Nazi scientist was none other than Ilsa the She Wolf of the SS.

Panic ensured and the French started doing their walking Fire, but backwards. He still was not told what the Zombie rules were and these were only drip fed throughout the game. For some reason Zombies ignore shock and seemed resilient to being shot (he did not know about the head shot thing at this time).

After a couple of phases shooting the Americans did manage to use a CoC dice to finally understand it was head shots that counted and this would have made his fire a lot more effective if his dice hadn’t been so terrible. Although the 50 Cal was managing to blow limbs off Zombies very effectively .
The Americans brought on their 3rd Squad and formed a firing line to the right of the farmhouse and seemed to be doing very well. Unfortunately more Zombies poured out of the Castle gates towards the isolated squad on the American left together with the other Nazi Scientist Herr Doktor.

Of the Zombies against his right most were mown down and he even managed to wound a scientist.

Unfortunately a handful of Zombies got into the Farm House where the beautiful Marie was hiding and although she manged to take one down, she soon joined the ranks of the living dead herself. At this point the American Player found out that figures killed in close combat by Zombies, become Zombies.

It then got much worse, the isolated squad was the focus not only of the large Zombie horde but the scientists were able to use their CI to keep raising more Zombies. At this point the American player found out that falling back into the words was a bad idea as he could not move 3d6 as was his original intent so had to roll 2d6 and hope his walking backwards fire could help him. Unfortunately rolling double 2 was no help as the horde got into him and although he took out many Zombies. This poor American squad was compared to a bunch of American cheer leaders in a low budget movie when they turn to run away in a forest and keep tripping over tree roots!

As the below shot depicts, no French left squad bit a lot more Zombies. Up to this point the French player was quite happy as he had mown down two of the four Zombie hordes, reduced a third to the remnant that had eaten Marie but in one phase had lost a Squad, a JL and a SL now all part of the living dead and his morale plummeted from 10 to 3.

Things got worse when the 3 Zombies in who had eaten Marie made their way upstairs where the 50 Cal was located. Even though the crew manged to turn the gun to face the doorway enough Zombies got in close to infect the crew. French morale then plummeted to 1!

Note the French squad lining the hedge rows. These were in position to mow down the Zombies from the farmhouse as they came out (the scientists lost control of these who went on auto rules which meant they walked to the nearest living troops).

However the French used one of their squads to rush the Castle gates whilst the other one fell back. This time, lesson learnt, they didn’t shoot they just ran with 3 dice! Unfortunately Zombies can only move 2D6 so they managed to stay out of trouble. With the last roll of the game, the French rolled a 5 and a 1 so ran their last team into the Castle gate to close the summoning gate.

A really fun game. I thought the French would walk it at one point then the isolated Squad got eaten and the Zombies just over ran the French positions.

Now I also have rules for werewolves, maybe next time!

Archdukek

Re: Strange Encounter at Chateau Woelfling.

Post by Archdukek »

An hilarious and totally bonkers AAR sid. Well done.

John

sid

Post by sid »

Thanks, it was a fun game and swung back and forward quite a bit. If I say so myself, I was quite pleased how the rules worked out. Two SL and 4 Zombie hordes seemed about right to equate to a normal platoon.

However I'm still a bit of a Muppet as I do seemed to have messed up the images, they seem too narrow and there is URL text all over them.

NeilCFord

Post by NeilCFord »

Excellent write up of a very interesting game. Looking forward to seeing how the werewolves turn out and the final lists and rules.

Here are the picture links for anyone who want to follow them:
Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4
Picture 5
Picture 6
Picture 7
Picture 8
Picture 9
Picture 10
Picture 11

The problem in the original post is the extra set of 'url' tags around each image. They are causing the ones copy and pasted from Photobucket to be ignored and hence displayed. Edit them out and all should be fine.

- Neil.

sid

Post by sid »

Thanks for that and will that also deal with the narrowing of the images which caused loss of some of the picture ?

The rules are complete so if anyone wants a copy if they PM me I can email them the word document or if Richard is desperate for content for the Christmas special he can have a look and give me his opinion.

NeilCFord

Post by NeilCFord »

sid wrote:Thanks for that and will that also deal with the narrowing of the images which caused loss of some of the picture ?
Unfortunately not, that will have been set by the URL inside the image tag, which normally include an image size component. I don't use Photobucket, so don't know how they do it. If you have the option you want to specify an image width of between 500 and 600 pixels for the forum not to crop them.
sid wrote:The rules are complete so if anyone wants a copy if they PM me I can email them the word document or if Richard is desperate for content for the Christmas special he can have a look and give me his opinion.
PM will be inbound shortly.

- Neil.

sid

Post by sid »

Rule set inbound, be interested to see what you think of them.

Sid

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

Sid, I'd be VERY interested for the Special.

Rich

sid

Post by sid »

PM me your email and I will send it to you so you can edit it into something resembling usable.

Out of respect for Richard and the possibility he MIGHT use it for the special, I will hold off sending any more copies out.

NeilCFord

Post by NeilCFord »

And I promise not to let the copy I have off my hard drive.

- Neil.