Defense of Pokhlebin (CoC)

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

tburgt

Defense of Pokhlebin (CoC)

Post by tburgt »

Played the third scenario of the Winter Storm campaign: The defense of Pokhlebin.
The Soviets must attack the German held village of Pokhlebin and would need to cross open ground.

I read the posts by MLB/TacticalPainter on the Bloody Bucket campaign and was a bit worried on how to cross the open ground with the Soviets. When rolling for who takes which side, I wound up with the Germans however so I now just needed to worry about stopping the Soviets.

From TacticalPainter's posts I also learned not to deploy to quickly when defending. This worked but my decision to deploy the senior leader before the rest of the platoon had been deployed almost backfired because of a fast flanking move by the Soviets, annihilating a German team in close combat.

More on my blog: https://toomuchterrain.blogspot.com/2021/06/the-defense-of-pokhlebin.html

A few situations arose where it was not entirely clear how the rules should be applied. I'll post these in the CoC section.

T.
tburgt

Re: Defense of Pokhlebin (CoC)

Post by tburgt »

Some pictures:

T.
Novista

Post by Novista »

Great AAR’s, how are you finding the campaign without using “at the sharp end”? I’m still working my way towards getting the Germans ready for this. Love the the use of Pokémon coin for a damage counter.
Has anyone else used at the sharp end for winter storm and if so how?
tburgt

Post by tburgt »

Love the the use of Pokémon coin for a damage counter
Yes, my kids just collect the cards and don't really play the game, so I get to use the counters :)

A number of actions covered by the Winter Storm campaign are fought on the same day at different places along the front. I understood "At the Sharp End" follows a single platoon during a campaign (I don't own At the Sharp End myself), so I'm not sure it can be used for Winter Storm.
I think I also read somewhere that Winter storm predates At the Sharp End.

T.
MLB

Post by MLB »

Novista wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:30 am Great AAR’s, how are you finding the campaign without using “at the sharp end”? I’m still working my way towards getting the Germans ready for this. Love the the use of Pokémon coin for a damage counter.
Has anyone else used at the sharp end for winter storm and if so how?
Winterstorm was written before ATSE was published and so it’s not designed with that in mind. I was under the impression that you play through each scenario as written without the need for ATSE. I’m sure you could find a way to incorporate it but not sure how without some major changes.
The Tactical Painter
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top
MLB

Post by MLB »

tburgt wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:49 am From TacticalPainter's posts I also learned not to deploy to quickly when defending. This worked but my decision to deploy the senior leader before the rest of the platoon had been deployed almost backfired because of a fast flanking move by the Soviets, annihilating a German team in close combat.
Remember that you need to keep a senior leader off the table to avoid problems deploying unless you have an adjutant. Best to deploy the senior leader last. I only bring him on early if things are looking desperate.
The Tactical Painter
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top
Misa9x

Post by Misa9x »

It's great that you found the posts by MLB/TacticalPainter on the Bloody Bucket campaign helpful in guiding your defensive strategy. Learning from others' experiences can be valuable in improving your own gameplay.
Tomm

Post by Tomm »

Another thing to consider is that if iirc, ambushes can only be a team, which makes deploying into h2h iffy.
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Deplying into h2h yes ambushing ..not so much.😊
henjed69

Post by henjed69 »

Out of mild interest, if you are a one team section (as it were) like the early Russians, can you ambush at all, or do you ambush with the whole section?

Mike H