2nd Seminole War SP2 game Hatchee-Lustee Creek

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

mluther

2nd Seminole War SP2 game Hatchee-Lustee Creek

Post by mluther »

The pandemic has put my face-to-face gaming on hold for over a year and I have missed multi player games. I particularly wanted to do a 2nd Seminole War game, using some minis that haven't made it to the table, so went looking for a straight forward scenario that had Marines and Navy troops. I decided on the January 26th, 1837, the battle of Hatchee-Lustee Creek. The army & marines found a large Seminole village with many cattle on Hatchee-Lustee Creek. Today this is called Reedy Creek, and is near what is now Disney World. Much as happened historically, the Seminoles lacked the manpower and ammo to hold off the government forces. After fierce fighting the Americans routed the Seminoles from the area, and those who were not captured disappeared in the cypress. It was a very bad defeat for the Seminoles in central Florida. In 1837, a large number of cattle and a hundred horses were captured from the Seminoles, along with the loss of all their camp goods, clothing, blankets, and cooking pots.
Link to the Fickr AAR Click on the pic to get the descriptions
https://www.flickr.com/photos/6mmgaming ... 9060470407
Mark
Capt Fortier

Re: 2nd Seminole War SP2 game Hatchee-Lustee Creek

Post by Capt Fortier »

As always, a spectacular looking table - your swampy wetlands look brilliant - can almost feel the heat seeping out of the pictures!! And great to see a v different and rarely-depicted conflict getting a run (I know you have long been a champion for the Seminole wars). What lists are you using? Do the Seminole receive any advantage fighting in this kind of terrain?
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
mluther

Post by mluther »

I treat the Seminoles as Light Infantry/Tribe. One thing I liked from the SP v 1 F&I rules were blinds and the 'Vamoose' ability of Natives. So their movement before being spotted was on blinds with each group getting a dummy blind also. They also suffered from 'Prominent Leader'. No 'Tomahawks' and being 'Poor shots' to reflect their low ammo situ and small bore rifles. In fact, after their 1st shot they fire at half rate. Their groups are 12 men.
I did give the US Regulars and Marines "Sharp Practice' and the sailors had 'Big Choppers'. Battle casualties in this conflict were low-almost all fighting was in hard cover.
Mark
Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

I'm not that familiar with SP1 - quite like the idea of "Vamoose" ability - not sure I've seen any equivalent in SP2, but would be interesting to try to recreate to help in what might otherwise be somewhat asymmetrical fights. Did they get "tactical"?
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
mluther

Post by mluther »

Yes. They did get Tactical also.