CoC Bloody Bucket campaign (updated 30 05 21)

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

john de terre neuve

Re: CoC Bloody Bucket campaign (updated 07 03 21)

Post by john de terre neuve »

Another interesting report. I like the German use of covering fire as at effective range as the Sturm squad is not very effective otherwise. I also think it was a good idea for the Germans to use scout teams to threaten JOP's. I was lucky to capture this table on my 2nd go at it. I think though once you have some armour advancing across open ground with infantry is not really going to work. Once the iG-18 gun and the Panther is on the table you really have a lot of HE available to bang away at the Americans in hard cover, before advancing. But of course the Americans cleverly held off their deployment. Maybe using the Panther to advance to deny JOP's might work a little better.
Quackstheking

Post by Quackstheking »

Beware the bazooka ambush!

Don
john de terre neuve

Beware the bazooka ambush!
No doubt, that is what where overwatch comes into play!
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Unfortunately overwatch may be too late to stop your tank from brewing up. I try and place covering fire on potential ambush points as well.
MLB

Post by MLB »

Not that I want to give Dave any ideas but I wonder if anyone has tried a coup de main using the M8 ruse? The M8 can deploy and move same phase, so going flat out on the road with 3D6x2 +6” gives a possible move of 42”. While that’s a long shot it can still go fast. Let’s say you wait for an opportunity like a double phase, then it could close down any jump-off-points at the crossroads. Even if you don’t go far enough a pregame barrage could prevent US deployment and the special rule for firing on captured vehicles means there’s a 50% chance the bazooka team may not even fire. Back that up with a fire base on overwatch and it might be enough to grab a quick victory.

Even if you lose the M8 it’s not the end of the world, especially if it means it forces the bazooka team to deploy and you then take it out. Then bring on a PzIV and there’s not a lot the Americans can do.

By the way, Dave, if you’re reading this, I have a cunning plan to prevent it 😉
The Tactical Painter
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

its wheeled just put barbed wire across the road
MLB

Post by MLB »

The Americans have put up a determined resistance so far and the Germans are still looking for their first victory of the campaign. The clock is ticking against them but now that they have armour available that might just give them the edge they need to dislodge the Americans. We get to Campaign Turn 6 and the Germans continue to ramp up the pressure. You can find out what happens next in this AAR: http://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com/ ... nario.html
The Tactical Painter
MLB

Post by MLB »

And a picture of course - tanks lurking in the woods. Never a good sign!

The Tactical Painter
john de terre neuve

Re: CoC Bloody Bucket campaign (updated 21 03 21)

Nicely done as usual. I am relieved that the Germans finally got a victory (having been on the persistently losing side (Von Luck Brits) of a campaign is not fun). It would seem now that the best the Germans can do is a Narrow victory on Turn 9. But who knows if they are well positioned they might win in 8, especially if they are set up to play 3 tables a turn. It will be interesting to see how the next 2 battles work out in Turn 6 (assuming a Blitzkrieg that is).

John
MLB

Re: CoC Bloody Bucket campaign (updated 21 03 21)

Post by MLB »

This is the second German attack of Turn 6 on the Outskirts of Consthum. The Germans were successful in their first attack of the turn, but could they repeat their success here? This one packed quite a surprise and more than a few cinematic moments. The full AAR is here: https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com ... io_26.html
The Tactical Painter