CoC Bloody Bucket campaign (updated 30 05 21)

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

MLB

Re: CoC Bloody Bucket campaign (updated 14 02 21)

Post by MLB »

We now play the second German attack of Turn 3, this one on Map 3 Holzthum Village. This is happening while the Germans were attacking Map 1, so can this platoon have more success than their comrades? The full AAR is here:
http://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com/ ... nario.html
The Tactical Painter
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top
MLB

Re: CoC Bloody Bucket campaign (updated 14 02 21)

Post by MLB »

And a picture:
The Tactical Painter
MLB

Re: CoC Bloody Bucket campaign (updated 25 02 21)

Post by MLB »

The campaign rolls on and the German pioneers struggle to bridge the River Our so that heavier support can assist the Volksgrenadiers dislodge the Americans. After two bloody repulses in the previous games, can the Germans start to drive the Americans from Skyline Drive? Full AAR of the next game here: https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com ... s-4-5.html
The Tactical Painter
MLB

Re: CoC Bloody Bucket campaign (updated 25 02 21)

Post by MLB »

And here's a picture:

The Tactical Painter
Capt Fortier

Re: CoC Bloody Bucket campaign (updated 07 03 21)

Post by Capt Fortier »

Another tense game and excellent account. As so often from your defensive battles, a great exemplar of "waiting 'til you see the whites of their eyes"! Your closing note about the balance of the Volksgrenadiers' closer-range firepower against their brittleness combined with being green has proven telling in each of the games so far. When the campaign is done it would be great to get some of Dave's reflections on fighting with this force.
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
Peter

Post by Peter »

That is one hard table to attack. Your patience made it all the harder.
tburgt

Post by tburgt »

Your account illustrates the value of not providing the enemy anything to shoot at until the last possible moment
I often tend to deploy too soon when on the defensive for fear of losing jump off points.
Or rolling something like 55446 when my troops really need to open fire.

T.
MLB

Post by MLB »

Capt Fortier wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:05 am Another tense game and excellent account. As so often from your defensive battles, a great exemplar of "waiting 'til you see the whites of their eyes"! Your closing note about the balance of the Volksgrenadiers' closer-range firepower against their brittleness combined with being green has proven telling in each of the games so far. When the campaign is done it would be great to get some of Dave's reflections on fighting with this force.
Thanks. Good idea, I'm sure Dave will be happy to do that. I have a few thoughts myself about how to play the Germans having watched their struggles in these initial games, but I don't want to share those just yet - for the obvious reasons!
The Tactical Painter
MLB

Post by MLB »

Peter wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:48 am That is one hard table to attack. Your patience made it all the harder.
Indeed, although hindsight makes it clear my patience was rewarded, but watching all those double phases go to waste and not knowing how things would play out meant it wasn't so clear at the time.
The Tactical Painter
MLB

Post by MLB »

tburgt wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:51 am Your account illustrates the value of not providing the enemy anything to shoot at until the last possible moment
I often tend to deploy too soon when on the defensive for fear of losing jump off points.
Or rolling something like 55446 when my troops really need to open fire.

T.
Yes, that's the gamble and I have been caught out by something like that or my opponent having some luck and a run of phases. Generally though I find it pays off. Like anything, once in a while the stars align and things don't work out.
The Tactical Painter