CoC Bloody Bucket campaign (updated 30 05 21)

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

MLB

Re: CoC Bloody Bucket campaign (updated 18 04 21)

Post by MLB »

Capt Fortier wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:26 pm An intriguing game - and really quite tense despite something of an absence of the human element - at least on the German side. Other than being in the relatively open countryside, it reminded me a little of the "bring up the PIAT!" scene from A Bridge Too Far.
I agree, the game set up a good narrative for the Americans with the platoon sergeant and the bazooka teams frantically running back and forth around the barn, firing off rockets and replenishing their ammo. Definitely an absence of human element on the German side although one could imagine the tension for the crew. An unusual game in many ways. With the attempted coup de main in the previous game this map has seemed to generate slightly uncharacteristic and quirky games.
The Tactical Painter
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top
MLB

Post by MLB »

Having successfully cleared the outskirts of Consthum the same Volksgrenadier platoon takes advantage of the blitzkrieg campaign rule to mount an attack on the next table immediately. And why not, it's a free game that might help get the German attack back on schedule? It also sees the return of that pesky Panther from the previous game, the one that led a charmed life in the face of numerous bazooka rounds. Will it be so lucky this time? Full AAR is here https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com ... nario.html
Last edited by MLB on Sun May 16, 2021 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tactical Painter
MLB

Post by MLB »

And a picture:

The Tactical Painter
Peter

Re: CoC Bloody Bucket campaign (updated 16 05 21)

Post by Peter »

Great report, thanks.
Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

Nice to get our fix after a few weeks off air ;) An interesting fight and table - and a good illustration of how to overcome the challenges of buildings that don't provide the right fields of fire. I particularly liked your handling of the Sherman with more precision than I suspect a tank is usually used.
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
MLB

Post by MLB »

The Germans return to Holzthum Village for the second attack of campaign turn 8. This will be their third attempt to drive the Americans from the village. The question is, will they be any more successful this time? Full AAR is here: http://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com/ ... io_30.html
Last edited by MLB on Sun May 30, 2021 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tactical Painter
MLB

Post by MLB »

And a picture:

The Tactical Painter
Capt Fortier

Re: CoC Bloody Bucket campaign (updated 30 05 21)

Post by Capt Fortier »

Another great and gripping account, though as you summarise at the end, perhaps reflecting the overall pattern of the campaign. Your experience reflects General Manteuffel's account at the end of the first day:
The enemy was unquestionably surprised by the attack. He offered, however, in many places tenacious and brave resistance in delaying by skillfully fought combat tactics.... The tenacious resistance of the enemy, together with the road blocks placed…were the most essential reasons for the slowing of the attack whose timing was not going according to plan.
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
MLB

Post by MLB »

I think the campaign has certainly produced that narrative. There is much to like about it, my only misgivings are that the Germans have a very tough task and the scenarios can end up feeling a bit repetitive ie the Americans defend a cluster of buildings and the Germans advance across open terrain to evict them (or at least try to!). We’ve played ten games now and I think we’re feeling like there might not be that much more to get out of it.
The Tactical Painter
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Luck of the dice plays a part. Leaving that squad in the open on the road was a bit of a gift but the decimation of the flanking squad in the building was pure dice. There is, looking at that particular set of circumstances, some argument for enfilading fire from a higher level to negate one level of protection.

There is also, i would suggest, some justification for adding entrenchments to be added to the things like road blocks, minefields and wire entanglements that are positioned after the patrol phase. Leaving them to be deployed as the player sees fit will always convey an advantage to the less well organised player as they don't have to think through their defensive strategy as they can always react to where the main pressure is coming from.