CoC Bloody Bucket campaign (updated 30 05 21)

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

MLB

Re: CoC Bloody Bucket campaign (updated 21 03 21)

Post by MLB »

A nice day for a drive, or maybe not?

The Tactical Painter
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top
Dog who drinks paint

Re: CoC Bloody Bucket campaign (updated 26 03 21)

Post by Dog who drinks paint »

Fantastic as always.

Relieved to see that even a completist like yourself drew the line at building a jeep with German crew specifically for this support option. Makes me feel marginally better about my liberal use of proxies.
MLB

Post by MLB »

Dog who drinks paint wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:42 pm Fantastic as always.

Relieved to see that even a completist like yourself drew the line at building a jeep with German crew specifically for this support option. Makes me feel marginally better about my liberal use of proxies.
Ha, don’t think I wasn’t tempted. We tend to avoid jeep/car/kubelwagen type supports because generally they don’t last very long on the battlefield. I didn’t imagine Dave would take the option so even though I considered it I dismissed it as unlikely to occur, let alone become the focal point for an entire scenario.

As it turns out it wasn’t this first choice, he was hoping to get an M8 armoured car, but the Germans must roll to see if one is available. In the end they could only get their hands on the jeep.
The Tactical Painter
Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

Another great account and agree with the cinematic quality of both the game and the AAR. Your games beautifully reflect the diversity of scenarios and game play that the PSCs support. Who'd have thought we'd see this kind of mad dash in an Attack & Defend game!
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
MLB

Post by MLB »

Capt Fortier wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:24 am Another great account and agree with the cinematic quality of both the game and the AAR. Your games beautifully reflect the diversity of scenarios and game play that the PSCs support. Who'd have thought we'd see this kind of mad dash in an Attack & Defend game!
Thanks. I think this sort of thing is worth a shot and must confess that I blame myself for planting the thought in Dave's mind. Sometimes it needs a few things to align and there were a few in this one. Obviously speed is the key - you need to move fast and somehow the enemy has to respond slowly. This scenario ticked a few boxes.

The Germans could move fast because:
  • We were playing across the table and so they had a short distance to travel
    One road was free of mines or obstruction
    A wheeled vehicle was available as support. Potentially with a 6" deployment, plus going flat out (18" doubled for the road) gives a move in the first phase of deployment of up to 42" (and the table is only 48" wide!)
The Americans might respond slowly because:
  • The Germans had a pre-game barrage
    The Americans had a 50% chance of failing to identify the target as enemy when they first tried to shoot
The outcome was going to depend on a bit of luck, but Dave and I have seen this pulled off successfully in our Malaya 1942 campaign when my Japanese used a combination of pre-game barrage, a Ruse and a double phase to effectively close down the Australian deployment before it even started (https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com ... again.html). In that game fortune favoured the Japanese, as it could so easily have done with the Germans in this one.
The Tactical Painter
MLB

Post by MLB »

Dog who drinks paint wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:42 pm Fantastic as always.

Err, I have a confession to make. You shamed me into action. I think I have a problem.....

The Tactical Painter
Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

MLB wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:58 am Err, I have a confession to make. You shamed me into action. I think I have a problem.....
I wish I had that kind of talented problem...
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
Dog who drinks paint

Post by Dog who drinks paint »

The shaming stare of the paint spattered hound works again. Resistance is futile!

Like the good Captain says, wish I had the talent for that kind of problem.
MLB

Post by MLB »

Deja vu for the Volksgrenadiers as they make their third attempt to dislodge the Americans from the crossroads on Skyline Drive. It's a tough table to attack with much open ground but we now enter the second day of the campaign and the German support levels increase even further. Can this heroic American platoon hold out once more? The full AAR is here: https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com ... nario.html
The Tactical Painter
MLB

Post by MLB »

Big cat comes knocking on the door......

The Tactical Painter