CoC Bloody Bucket campaign (updated 30 05 21)

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Truscott Trotter

Re: CoC Bloody Bucket campaign (updated 30 05 21)

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Surely predeploying entrenchments gives a huge advantage to the attacker knowing exactly where the defender is lokely to deploy ?
mgluteus

Post by mgluteus »

Pre placing entrenchments could also act as a bluff or misdirection!
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

True TT but if you look how the game panned out, what ever direction the Germans came from, the American player could react to that without first giving some thought as to his defensive strategy. No requirement to at least have some plan makes any attempt to take the table very hard, and in this AAR, the luck of the dice (and possibly failure to check the allowed angles of fire into and out of a building aperture) made it impossible.
MLB

Post by MLB »

After a bit of deliberation we've decided to call an American victory on the campaign and call it a day. We've played ten games across eight campaign turns, making this the longest campaign we have played to date, so I think we've given it a fair shot. Having won the previous scenario the Americans are in good enough shape to mount a counterattack against the rather meagre German force that has fallen back to Map 2. There's a decent chance they could recapture it which would make any hope of a German campaign victory (or even a draw) very unlikely. As Dave said, our gaming time is precious and perhaps it's time to move on given the writing is on the wall.

It's an intriguing campaign with much that we liked and would like to see in future campaigns, like the off map movement. The appeal of a campaign is in the broader story that is told and about the decisions you make for the future that impact the game currently in play. The extra layer in this PSC added to that experience. After all the discussion I would really like to have a crack at fighting this as the Germans at some time in the future, but with so many other campaigns to choose I'm not certain that's something that will happen any time soon.

So, what's next? We'll take a break and play a few other things. I want to try O Group and a bit more of I Ain't Been Shot Mum. We have some Sharp Practice we want to play and we will do a bit of a compare/contrast by playing the same period with Muskets & Tomahawks. We will return to CoC with the Many Rivers to Cross PSC from the 2018 Lard Magazine. Dave has painted up a Dutch platoon to complement his early war German platoon, so we will look to run this in Holland 1940. With that in mind, I have just bought this which I need to build:

The Tactical Painter
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top
Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

A fair call and a well-fought victory. As you yourself have noted, it does look like a tough campaign for the Germans to win, though I suspect if they are lucky with an early victory they may prove harder to stop. I would be interested if you can share any of Dave's thoughts/reflections on playing the Germans - and perhaps any tips for both future campaigners, but also more generally for playing a Volksgrenadier force. I think too he still wins a prize for that daring dash in Turn 6 on the outskirts of Consthum - one of the most exciting escapades I've seen in an AAR!
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
Dog who drinks paint

Post by Dog who drinks paint »

Good call. Even your excellent write-ups couldn't hide the fact that Dave appeared to be banging his head against a brick wall. Thanks, as always, for all the time and effort. Looking forward to write-ups of all that other stuff you mentioned....
MLB

Post by MLB »

Capt Fortier wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:25 pm A fair call and a well-fought victory. As you yourself have noted, it does look like a tough campaign for the Germans to win, though I suspect if they are lucky with an early victory they may prove harder to stop. I would be interested if you can share any of Dave's thoughts/reflections on playing the Germans - and perhaps any tips for both future campaigners, but also more generally for playing a Volksgrenadier force. I think too he still wins a prize for that daring dash in Turn 6 on the outskirts of Consthum - one of the most exciting escapades I've seen in an AAR!
After the thrilling end to our Opium Hill campaign with a last desperate close combat from the Malay Regiment I guess this one seemed a touch anti-climactic and I guess I was desperate for a more obvious and decisive end point. This was a slow burn victory for the Americans.

I'll see if I can convince Dave to give us his thoughts (although I fear he'd be happy to put this one behind him!).
The Tactical Painter
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top