Chain of Command FFL Campaign

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Corporal Steiner

Chain of Command FFL Campaign

Post by Corporal Steiner »

Hi All,

The start of my French Foreign Legion Campaign 'To die under the crystal clear stars' has started.

I am using the COC rules to run the games. 28mm Minis - whole mix of manufacturers!

Can Major Pois march to the Oasis of An Sur unmolested?

Put your sun screen on (at least factor 50) and come find out: https://www.novorasa.com

thanks for looking!

Vive La Legion!

Truscott Trotter

Re: Chain of Command FFL Campaign

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Excellent looking game - great to see something different.
Weirdly enough I just finished rereading Beau Geste over the Xmas break
Always love to see cavalry in action too.
Will look forwards to the next instalment - tho the French may run out of Legionaries at this rate!

tburgt

Post by tburgt »

Very nice looking scenery and game!
I like your wadi "solution". The waterless river sections take up far less space than board elements with real height differences while still looking the part.

T.

7dot62mm

Post by 7dot62mm »

This is simply brilliant! Well done! The plotline is engaging and obviously you have found a way to depict these battles in CoC. Nice!

Are you using standard Bad Things Happen tables and force morale generation or have you created something special for the Berbers?

Corporal Steiner

Post by Corporal Steiner »

Thanks all

Using standard bad things happen - as the Berber tribal leaders are just either senior, or junior leader equivalents really.

One addition I had worked on is the somewhat fog of war for where the Berber might actually appear from. Given their hit and run tactics (unless they felt they were seriously outnumbered their European enemies) I thought about how to represent that on the table. So I came up with the idea of having a dummy jump off point for each real jump off point - but placing them all face down and shuffling them all and then randomly placing them on 'likely' places on the game board. These only get turned over when the French come within 12 inches - flip them over and see if its real or a dummy! Revealed dummy's then get removed.

Whilst the French are advancing - the Berber still get to throw their command dice - retreating 6's and 5's as normal. So they can still try and attain a chain of command dice or two - which they can then use if they wish to launch an ambush action from any existing of their jump off points (real or dummy) that are still on the table.

It is quite a nice dynamic that keeps the French advancing and probing - but also guessing!

I am tinkering around with some prototype army lists at the mo - but any recommendations for elements in the support lists are welcomed!

Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

Great game and write up - always great to see some different periods and theatres - and your table, figures and photo bring it to life beautifully
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny