What a Tanker game

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

tburgt

What a Tanker game

Post by tburgt »

I played a game of What a Tankers with my sons yesterday. What a tanker is a good game to play with kids. Especially them against me :). They get to control their own tank and only have to control and plan for 1 element. They can then act independently or decide to work together (and achieve much better results). Plus the rules are quite easy to learn.
One drawback can be that a game is potentially very short. In one game I had my Tiger destroyed right at the start by my son's T-34. Total game time: 5 minutes. When this happens we just switch sides and play again. Also games with 1 tank per side may result in a "run and chase" game, so I always put a minimum of 3 tanks in a game.

The family blasting away at each other:

T.

tburgt

Re: What a Tanker game

Post by tburgt »

More pictures and a short AAR on my blog: https://toomuchterrain.blogspot.com/202 ... italy.html

T.

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Sounds like it was fun.
tburgt wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:50 am
One drawback can be that a game is potentially very short. In one game I had my Tiger destroyed right at the start by my son's T-34. Total game time: 5 minutes.
I tend to game early war, where you have multiple variations of an armoured rollerskate mounting a spud gun (ramming can often be more effective than shooting), and the games can actually go on for rather a long time. This is not good at the ages my regular gaming partner and I are now at, especially vis-a-vis "comfort breaks"! We sometimes even forget whose go it is..... :roll:
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Use counters then you don't have to remember whose turn it is...😋
TT (also of 'that' age)

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Yes, but then we have to remember what the counters signify. We usually just flip a coin to see whose turn it is next......

(Apologies to the OP for hijacking his thread. Now, why did I come in here.....?)
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Truscott Trotter

We give one numbered counter to each tank and write its number on its sheet. We dont alternate between players but randomize the move order of each tank

tburgt

Post by tburgt »

Have I been playing this wrong?
I thought you needed to roll a d6 for initiative for each tank. Tank activation is then in order of initiative. Highest goes first. “Wild sixes” can be used to increase initiative in the next activation.

T.

Peter

Post by Peter »

That's the rule as written, but it gets a bit monotonous when you have to keep re-rolling ties, and also a hidden order works better in my opinion, hence the use of cards/chits as a house rule.

Truscott Trotter

Yup Peter has it, quicker and more fun not knowing who goes next makes the play more tricky and I think more realistic

tburgt

Post by tburgt »

I agree re-rolling ties is annoying and you got me thinking about the use of cards.
How about using ordinary playing cards, e.g. only spades?
Ace always goes first, then King, etc.
You may use a saved wild dice to draw an extra initiative card and add the second card to your first card (picture card = 10, ace = 11).
The activation order would still be unpredictable while keeping the wild dice option. Only use of wild dice could result in a tie. In this case you could give the initiative to the tank with the highest number of drawn cards.

T.