Convoy to Kotelnikovo (CoC)

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

tburgt

Convoy to Kotelnikovo (CoC)

Post by tburgt »

We kicked off the Winter Storm campaign with the "04:30 to Kotelnikovo" scenario, replacing the train with a convoy of trucks.

The Germans prevailed, but only because we didn't apply the firing at soft skin vehicles rules correctly at first. What really impressed me (and I've seen this also in other games) is the amount of damage a German squad with 2 machineguns can cause when defending.

Read about the exploits of Gummi Ente, Liebesmachine , Spinne and Grosser Schurke on their way to Kotelnikovo here:
https://toomuchterrain.blogspot.com/202 ... ikovo.html

It took me a while to collect the required forces but now we can play all 22 scenarios in the book!

T.

Baldie

Re: Convoy to Kotelnikovo (CoC)

Post by Baldie »

Fantastic, loving the jump off point.
Interests

Getting slaughtered by a surprising amount of opponents.

7dot62mm

Post by 7dot62mm »

tburgt wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:00 pm
We kicked off the Winter Storm campaign with the "04:30 to Kotelnikovo" scenario, replacing the train with a convoy of trucks.

It took me a while to collect the required forces but now we can play all 22 scenarios in the book!
Nice report and very interesting! I've looked at Winter Storm and the first sub-campaign looks very good and workable. I think the second involved mainly tanks and seemed much less interesting as CoC is not much of a tank game. The third had T-34s on autopilot driving up and down streets which seemed weird to say the least.

The kit requirements for the campaign are humongous, I still calculate that it would take me almost two years to paint everything this campaign needs...

tburgt

Post by tburgt »

Thanks.
I try to look at all kit from a multi purpose perspective.
Although the majority of the troops stick to the snow theme, I intend to "fill in the blanks" with other models from my collection. Also the guns and tanks are not on a base for the same reason. Since my gaming buddy owns US airborne, the winter Germans can also be used in Battle of the Bulge games. I must say I took a bit of a shortcut with the vehicles: save one or two they are all pre-painted die cast models.

My plan for the tank heavy second part of the campaign is to just try it, perhaps switching to What A Tanker if that works better for us.

T.

7dot62mm

Post by 7dot62mm »

tburgt wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:48 am
I must say I took a bit of a shortcut with the vehicles: save one or two they are all pre-painted die cast models.
Nothing wrong with that - I own hundreds of diecast tanks. I try to keep but improve the original paint job, unless it is horrible. Of course when there are multiple vehicles with the same paint job I then repaint the others.

MLB

Post by MLB »

7dot62mm wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:02 am
I've looked at Winter Storm and the first sub-campaign looks very good and workable. I think the second involved mainly tanks and seemed much less interesting as CoC is not much of a tank game. The third had T-34s on autopilot driving up and down streets which seemed weird to say the least.

The kit requirements for the campaign are humongous, I still calculate that it would take me almost two years to paint everything this campaign needs...
I think the main problem is the campaign and scenarios were written when CoC was first published and we have learned a lot since about what works best with the system and campaigns. I’ve played several of the scenarios. As you say, the all tank affairs are not what CoC is all about and while they play out just fine they don’t show off the rules at their best. I think 22 scenarios requires a big commitment in time and I’ve found a 5 or 6 map campaign can do just as good a job for giving the flavour of a particular battle for a much smaller commitment of time.

Nonetheless, as this report shows, there’s plenty of enjoyment still to be had in the scenarios.
The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top