CoC Vietnam AAR - Updated July 27 for Scenario 2

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Dog who drinks paint

CoC Vietnam AAR - Updated July 27 for Scenario 2

Post by Dog who drinks paint »

Evening all. Long time lurker, first time poster here. Figured it was about time I gave something back to the community, so here’s an AAR of the first outing for my CoC Vietnam variant rules. I call them Fudged Fighting Season, in honour of the Afghan rules that never were and the all-important acronym. They owe a great debt to Jason Sendjirdjia’s excellent DMZ modifications, but are tweaked to reflect my own prejudices (derived largely from Hollywood and pulp fiction rather than historical research).

I made a few mistakes, but no more than in you average episode of Lard TV. My painting and terrain aren’t up to the usual standard round here, but I hope you enjoy.

http://www.wd3.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3319

Last edited by Dog who drinks paint on Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

7dot62mm

Re: CoC Vietnam AAR

Post by 7dot62mm »

An excellent report, well written and with many great conversions of classic ESCI figures 8-)

A great job! :)

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Yes, a good game well written up (don't forget the two Orbats!).

Did you attempt to "play" Claymore mines, which were usually an essential part of US base defences? Would a rear-echelon area necessarily have had them?
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Dog who drinks paint

No claymores. As you say, this was a rear area base not expecting trouble. Jason has excellent rules for claymores in his DMZ v2.

7dot62mm, thank you. Some of those conversions are nearly 30 years old, done when I had decent eyesight and spare time.

Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

Really enjoyed both the battle account and the story arc through it - looking forward to how the plot develops!
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Dog who drinks paint

Re: CoC Vietnam AAR - Updated July 27 for Scenario 2

It took a while, what with one thing and another, but here is the AAR for a slightly anticlimactic Scenario 2: “The Hills are Alive”.

http://www.wd3.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3319

Will Task Force Ranson escape unscathed again? What do you think?

c0cky30

Post by c0cky30 »

Excellent stuff.

Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

From your lead photo above I thought it may be "The Trouble with Tribbles: DMZ" ;-) But the write-up was again excellent, and I am really enjoying your creativity with solo play.

I was interested in your use of "Possible Enemy Force" (PEF) points. I've been looking at the "Nuts!" rules which use PEF markers for one-sided play - my interest is in recreating some of the small raiding actions in the Aegean in 1944 for solo play - but their system seems quite convoluted and I like the approach you used (fits with TFL's "K-I-S-S" principles).

So saying, I do think you could have used some mechanism to "move to the sound of the guns" - though perhaps it was more the (bad) luck in NVA activations that limited the options here. Perhaps in any future or similar game you could have a more minimal fixed PEF location (eg. 2 PEFs each) on the two main routes with the remainder of the force in the centre (with a central JOP), who can only activate once contact has been made and who then deploy from that central JOP.

I will continue to follow the action with interest!
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Dog who drinks paint

Thank you both.

Captain, I think I might have stolen the term PEF (but none of the mechanisms) from Two Hour Wargames. They have quite a lot of rules downloadable for free, so you might want to check them out for solo mechanisms. I completely agree that my initial deployment did not help the NVA, but I was in the mindset of defending the each route, rather than positioning so I could concentrate on one. Lesson learnt!

[Edited for stupidity] Doh! Of course, Nuts are by THW. Sorry, I'll go back to teaching my grandmother to suck eggs...