Best accurate BEF 28mm, suggestions please.

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Novista

Best accurate BEF 28mm, suggestions please.

Post by Novista »

It’s all there in the title, I’ve been looking at the new Black Tree figures (please don’t descend into problems with BT delivery, yadda, yadda). They seem to come out on top, with accuracy vs price, especially seeing as warlord have put their prices up.
Basically I’m after pro’s and cons, so far in my listing I have.
Black tree
Artizan
Crusader
Warlord
Probability missed a couple and era crossovers, but hopefully you get my gist, any help appreciated. Si.
Truscott Trotter

Re: Best accurate BEF 28mm, suggestions please.

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Haven't seen the new BT but inly accurate BEF on market is 1st Corps or maybe Empress if you like pre 1940 uniforms.
Novista

Post by Novista »

Ooh 1st corp, wow nice one TT, not bought anything from them for about 15 yrs…
Truscott Trotter

Me neither but a chap posted photos of the BEF next to other manufacturers and they looked in scale. (Unlike their 1/48th scale WW2.)
Not same for their Home Guards. Which are deliberately sculpted a little bigger.
BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

- Black Tree BEF I can't find anywhere - do you have a link?

- Artizan/Crusader are inaccurate as neither has the gas-mask case (which would quickly see you on a charge in real life) and Artizan are clearly late(r) war anyway; happy to convert the odd figure (eg add a tam o'shanter or g/m case) but not an entire platoon's worth, plus supports, drivers etc.

- Empress "early WW2" is more akin to "late WW1" with puttees; however....they have indicated their current "late WW2" range will eventually extend backwards into appropriate territory - let's just hope we're all still alive by the time that happens.

- 1st Corps I've not actually seen myself, but from all accounts they do sound promising and also have the appropriate range of Bren (other designations are available) Carriers.

- Pulp Figures have a very limited range - only Sikhs in shorts and Highlanders in kilt specifically, but lots of odds-and-sods you can draft in, albeit missing their gas mask cases; tartan car-rugs are rare for WW2, and include several character figures, such as RSMs.

- Warlord probably the only other accurate range currently on the market, but after THOSE price-rises, I'm definitely going to wait for a sale.....
No plan survives first contact with the dice.
Novista

Post by Novista »

Hi Baron, thanks for your response, as I know very little about the British Army and BEF, I assumed the new BT British were more accurate than others as they at least have gas mask bags?

Hi TT, thanks again, the 1/48 is a shame, but hey, there are other suppliers. 1st Corps also supply in CoC 1940 regulation section size!
Truscott Trotter

Yeah 1st corps BEF look good. Went on Black Tree website couldn't find any new Brits do you have a link?
Novista

Post by Novista »

Here you go https://eoeorbisuk.com/collections/ww2- ... 4539451139
As they said they are available from June 10th, I assumed they were new, however, with hindsight, it could have been they were out of stock…
Apologies for any mistake…
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Novista - if you're UK based, try Caliver Books for a better price versus direct from Warlord. You might be pleasantly surprised, especially as postage might be nil......
Allan JD

Post by Allan JD »

The Black Tree British infantry figures are not accurate for early war and not accurate for mid or late war. They are an odd mix - early gas mask cases on the chest and Sten guns for example. They are not bad figures just not correct. If there are new ones I've not been able to find them.

For BEF rank and file you have one metal box from Warlord and then a few supports. Westwind make one pack of Highlanders and one of 'line' infantry.
Your best bet is going to be the new BEF figures from 1st Corps - riflemen, Brens, 2" mortar, Vickers, 3" mortar, command, medical etc. So far they have NOT made gun crews. These figures are compatable in size with the Warlord figures.
Be aware that the vehicles they make in support of this range - the carriers, trucks, tanks and the guns are 1/48 scale. Lovely models and they look like what they are meant to be.