Atheling's Early Byzantines, Belisarus' Boukellaroi

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Atheling

Atheling's Early Byzantines, Belisarus' Boukellaroi

Post by Atheling »

There is a whole gamut of pictures featuring the unit from various angles and single ranks on my blog here:
https://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.c ... laroi.html

I present to you Belisarius' Boukellaroi/Bucellarii. I have enjoyed painting up this unit more then any of the rest in the army and I think that is really says something! Every unit from the Aventine Early Byzantine range so far has been a real pleasure to paint up. Minimal cleaning up, perhaps a little filing here and there and very crisp castings. Adam's sculpting is sublime. I really think the whole range is exquisite.

The banner will be a dead giveaway to many so it will come as no surprise that I have painted up this unit as Belisarius' Boukellaroi. I have tried to include as much variation in colour on the horses to keep a real sense of individuality. Same with the bards on the equines. I have equipped the Boukellaroi in similar colours as their equipment would have been personally handed to them by the general himself and a degree of uniformity with minor variations such as patterns on the caparisons beneath the horse armours to allow for a small degree of individual expression without diminishing the uniform look.

I have been debating with myself as to whether to include pennons at the end of the kontos. I am almost certain that pennons would not have been used to decorate such a lengthy weapon as it was used as both a thrusting weapon and a fencing weapon. Fencing with a four meter long "spear" would have been almost impossible with the added encumbrance of the pennon.

I have included a Draco standard in the back rank, carried by an officer, as I believe dressing the ranks would have been paramount for the unit as it entered combat at a cantor. The Draco standard also helps to offset the whopping great banner of Belisarius to the right centre of the unit. In art college speak by placing the Draco where I have the eye will move around the unit. Or at least that is my hope!
Capt Fortier

Re: Atheling's Early Byzantines, Belisarus' Boukellaroi

Post by Capt Fortier »

Exquisite work as always - truly brings them to life - and your paintwork is one of the best advertisements for the figures too!! It would be great to see mixed units together en masse
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
Baldie

Post by Baldie »

Wonderful stuff
Interests

Getting slaughtered by a surprising amount of opponents.
Atheling

Post by Atheling »

Thanks guys, appreciated :)
Capt Fortier wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:30 pm Exquisite work as always - truly brings them to life - and your paintwork is one of the best advertisements for the figures too!! It would be great to see mixed units together en masse
It would indeed. Unfortunately my wargames table has a mountain of stuff piled on top of it. It's one of those jobs that you know you have got get around to doing but then the painting table beckons.... :roll: :)
Baldie

Post by Baldie »

Atheling wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:54 pm Thanks guys, appreciated :)
Capt Fortier wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:30 pm Exquisite work as always - truly brings them to life - and your paintwork is one of the best advertisements for the figures too!! It would be great to see mixed units together en masse
It would indeed. Unfortunately my wargames table has a mountain of stuff piled on top of it. It's one of those jobs that you know you have got get around to doing but then the painting table beckons.... :roll: :)
If space is an issue I am sure several of us would be happy to display them on our own tables for you, no problem.
Interests

Getting slaughtered by a surprising amount of opponents.
Atheling

Post by Atheling »

Baldie wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:00 pm
Atheling wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:54 pm Thanks guys, appreciated :)
If space is an issue I am sure several of us would be happy to display them on our own tables for you, no problem.
I think I'll hand onto them just for now thanks :lol: