British 3 pdr Artillery canon

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

JOHN BOND 001

British 3 pdr Artillery canon

Post by JOHN BOND 001 »

While waiting on the flock to dry on my French Infantry figures I completed this little small project.
This post features a British 3 pdr Artillery canon in 28mm from Perry Miniatures. follow the link for more images and info: http://iagsmgm.blogspot.com/2020/09/bri ... annon.html

cheers John

BaronVonWreckedoften

Re: British 3 pdr Artillery canon

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

I don't know if it's the camera or not, but the overalls might need to be a bit whiter (grey is sooo Napoleonics, darling), but I love the blue coats - perfect depiction of field-fading. And well done for painting the mini-turnbacks red; most people do them white, which was only introduced at the end of 1782 (and consequently was almost certainly not seen in North America until after the AWI).
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

JOHN BOND 001

Post by JOHN BOND 001 »

Thanks Baron,
My knowledge of these period is limited but still learning .
Yes I thought it may not be suitable for the period but I had purchased this and a french gun (yet to be painted) a long time ago so I am stuck with it.
Thanks always for the pointers, very helpful.
cheers John :D

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

JOHN BOND 001 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:28 am
Yes I thought it may not be suitable for the period but I had purchased this and a french gun (yet to be painted) a long time ago so I am stuck with it.
Oh, they are very much suitable for the AWI; there were actually two types of 3-pdr and they tended to be issued in pairs as battalion guns to light troops such as the Light Infantry Battalions in the general reserve, the 71st in the South, and even to some of the more established Loyalist units, such as the Queen's Rangers.

There's a very good book(let) by Adrian Caruana:- Grasshoppers and Butterflies: the light 3-pounders of Pattison and Townshend which you can still get from Amazon, if you want to know more.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

JOHN BOND 001

Post by JOHN BOND 001 »

Thanks Baron
cheers John