Detail brushes

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Necrosauron

Re: Detail brushes

Post by Necrosauron »

Purchased a W&N No7 a while back and wasn't that impressed - especially for the price. I've found Broken Toad brushes better. Use the MK2 sizes 3/0 & 0 for most of my detail work. And regularly clean my brushes with Vallejo brush cleaner.
NTM

Post by NTM »

I'm with Carl on this one using the nylon brushes from Hobbycraft the Range and the Works. Various brands but usually described as Taklon.
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

NTM,
Thanks I had forgotten about those at the Range, simply as I no longer live close enough to a Range store to buy them! Lockdown hasnt helped either as sometimes get them whe visiting my brother or friends!
CarlL
NTM

Post by NTM »

I visited Hobbycraft and the Range to stock up just before lockdown. They are both on the same retail park in my town.
Mindenbrush

Post by Mindenbrush »

Rosemary Series 33 Pure Kolinsky are an excellent alternative to W&N Series 7 and cheaper.

If you buy W&N Series 7 they leave the factory inside a capped plastic tube with a nylon tube to protect the bristles.
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

I buy my series 7 at 20% of when the annual sale is on and stock up for the next 2-3 years.
When I first started doing this they were less than a fiver each.....not any more 😕
ZenBadger

Post by ZenBadger »

Mindenbrush wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:00 pm Rosemary Series 33 Pure Kolinsky are an excellent alternative to W&N Series 7 and cheaper.
Second that, about a third of the price for roughly the same quality, excellent service too. I also love their series 305 synthetic filberts for drybrushing and basecoating. Cheap as chips and nearly indestructible.
Gunner who?

Post by Gunner who? »

I second Truscott with W&N 7 brushes - I have a couple of sizes but nearly always use No. 1 (for 10mm), because the tip is excellent and fine and it has enough "belly" to hold the wet paint. I clean it every time after use with brush soap and it still is as good as new after 1 year.

Cheers Fedja
Dbsubashi

Post by Dbsubashi »

I use Rosemary brushes now and find them excellent. The ones I have I have been using for over 3 years now, and are only now showing wear.
speakhonest

Post by speakhonest »

Nice thread, subscribed. Thanks!