Detail brushes

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

MtrPAbP

Detail brushes

Post by MtrPAbP »

Forgive me if this is the wrong section of the forum, but it's the most fitting place I can find.

The time has come that most of my brushes are nearing the end of their life, so I'm looking for suggestions of what to replace them with.

Many thanks
H
Truscott Trotter

Re: Detail brushes

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Winsor & Newton No7 series.
rim66

Post by rim66 »

Truscott Trotter wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:45 am Winsor & Newton No7 series.
Seconded. They may seem expensive but I find them so much better than anything else and they do last if you take care of them. The miniature ones are worth a look as well - they hold less paint so can be great for finer work. I use 1, O and OO mainly but have a wider selection as I do so much painting. If you are in the UK, Ken Bromley are my 'go to' - best prices I have found, good stock levels and I have not had any issues with orders - quick and accurate.

Kind regards,

Richard
siggian

Post by siggian »

It's worth spending a bit of money on brushes. The better quality ones last longer and, more importantly, hold their shape better. You just have to invest a little time taking care of them with a good cleaning when you are done and never leave them standing in water tip down.

Also, with a better quality brush, you can go for a larger size. The better brush can still go to a very fine point for detail work but also hold more paint for less dipping.
Baldie

Post by Baldie »

If you dont already have one invest in a wet pallet, I find it makes my paint go further and doesn't clog my brush up as much.
Re brushes I use all sorts including house paint brushes, kids brushes and fine detail ones from tinter web, the range and local gaming shop.

As with many things I find it ain't necessarily what you have but what you do with it.

A great brush loaded with a great glob of paint wont give a good look.
Interests

Getting slaughtered by a surprising amount of opponents.
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

I have to dissent. Not that W&N brushes are not good but they are expensive and if being used with metal figures and resin and plastics then they soon get hammered.
I like a good brush but I am happy to buy cheaper ones and replace when 'spent' - but I do clean my brushes well to give them a long life and re-cycle spent brushes for 'rough' jobs. (I also like to buy cheaper acrylic paints too, others have different views and tastes from old fashioned enamels to oils and the wide spread of acrylics.)
I buy brushes from various sources often cheaper nylon from The Works (on line or by shop) eg
https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/art-sets/b ... e/kit21652 or
https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/accessorie ... 2089125339
(edited due to restraints on website see second post)
I avoid likes of Humbrol brushes.
I avoid those brushes with triangular handles.
CarlL
CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Part2
There is also a very good art brush supplier that started attending shows but does online too, see http://www.abcbrushes.com/ and others check out show trader lists for online contacts.
CarlL
Truscott Trotter

Deleted
Last edited by Truscott Trotter on Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Truscott Trotter

I use a good brush cleaner avery 4 or 5 uses and I get 1-3 years out of my brushes. When I used cheaper ones I replaced them every 4-6 months.

Also I found the process of painting easier and better too.
YMMV
Munin

Post by Munin »

Real W&N brushes will easily last you for years if well maintained. That said, be careful ordering them off eBay - there are a lot of counterfeiters out there (for paintbrushes, how weird is that?). If you can, get them direct from your local art supply store.