Re: Javis hedges

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Is that tail and shirt? 😁

Tomm

Post by Tomm »

Shush, TT. Just cos you have a race named after you :P

2x 28mm ladies
1x 15mm german who is in the wrong movie.

gilliessim

Post by gilliessim »

They do work well for neat garden hedges, may just stick with clump foliage for bocage and the like. Or mix them in to get some variation. Thanks for sharing!

Tomm

Post by Tomm »

So, got the tall hedges done over the weekend, and figured I'd try them out in a solo game last night.

The foreground hedges are 10mm resin ones, which are being someone's garden. The one in front of the brewed up Stug (rah! 2 pounders!) is one of the Javis ones. Could maybe do with a big of 'roughing up' a bit to look less manicured, but at 2 quid or so for 4' worth I think it's well worth it. I had a bag of 'slightly too small even for 10mm' trees lying around which a pair of scissors can make a hole for in the hedge to make it a bit more bushy.

CarlL

Post by CarlL »

Tomm, excellent question you posed; and a very informative photo review you provided in response to your own question! Excellently helpful to rest of us.

On tarting up your basic hedge (after your scissor work gave it a more varied range of height) you could add colour in two ways:
1. dry brush on acrylic colours with flat wide brush. (My thoughts would be that a longstanding hedge is likely to have many varieties of plants, including as you rightly add some trees, but the foliage would be variable from beech leaf red/brown to many greens.) OR
2. dry / wet brush hedge with pva and spinkle / heap on flock, again you could use different colours in different places (so just add pva partially as you proceed along hedgerow) over basic hedge to suggest differing plants / leaf colour or just pile on a varied foliage mix for more random look.

I am just in process of adding to my home made bocage: I have used hardboard off cut bases, polystyrene core, covered in cheap filler then sand and pva mix; with real twigs inserted into core for trees (using lichen or similar later for foliage) before adding filler to cover core, and adding some hook like bits of plastic (from sprues) or soft wire, (or those wire twists you get on plastic bags) or literally skewers - not bamboo sort mind - to anchor hedging with my strips of cut/pulled/battered green pan cleaner over them. But you may have found me an easier option to use than those plastic panscrubbers!
Good work Tomm.
CarlL

Tomm

Post by Tomm »

Ta. I'm probably going to do another 12 or 16' of them. Can't have too much hedgerows for lurking behind!