Javis hedges

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Tomm

Javis hedges

Post by Tomm »

Anyone got any experience with the Javis OO large hedges that come in an absurdly cheap 4' strip for using with 15mm miniatures?

It lists them as 14.2mm high, 6mm thick, 4' long for about £3.50

Tomm

Re: Javis hedges

Post by Tomm »

As nobody knew, I thought I'd give them a punt. They come in normal size (OO scale) at less than £2 for 4', and extra large at just over 2 quid for 4'. Sadly the friendly local game shop only had the wall in the XL size, but I felt at those prices it was worth a punt. A bit of cardboard from the wife's amazon addiction, some gorilla glue and basing materials later, I'm happy enough with the hedges. The wall is a space filler only. I just don't think it works for what it's for. I need some of the XL hedging, and maybe insert a few small trees into the hedgeline too, and cut it a touch to make it look a bit less manicured.

gilliessim

Post by gilliessim »

Good punt! That's a nice cheap way of getting a fairly long set of hedges - as you say a few improvements and additions and you can get some diversity! Do you think they would work for 15mm or 1/100?

Tomm

Post by Tomm »

That's a 15mm miniature next to them. The standard is a bit low but the XL looks right. The gorilla glue bulks up so you can lift the base a bit too

NTM

Post by NTM »

Look good. I was planning to make some from scouring pads which would end up very similar to these but with a lot more effort.

Tomm

Post by Tomm »

Tried roughing them up a bit, and inserting some 10mm trees (which will need something doing about colour to more closely match the hedge). Photo from eye level for a 15mm (or thereabouts)

Tomm

Post by Tomm »

I am less convinced by the "wall", but this gives an idea of scale for the larger ones.

And with a little bit of light scissor attacks to make them less of a manicured hedge you get this

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Would the XL versions work with 28mm figures?
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Tomm

Post by Tomm »

They'd be pretty short hedges for 28mm. They're maybe 20mm by eyeball on my 15mm guy which means by the time you'd allowed for scale creep and base thickness they'd be a low ornamental hedge in 28mm. Which given how neatly trimmed they are is plausible!

Tomm

Post by Tomm »

I can photo a 28mm next to the tall and shirt if you like for scale?