EW Germans

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Baldie

Re: EW Germans

Post by Baldie »

Get four
Interests

Getting slaughtered by a surprising amount of opponents.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

DougM wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:18 pm
Hmm.. I don't have a T35 :)
Me neither, I doubt you would fit more than one 28mm one on a table let alone 3 or 4.

Suspect might need special rules for it in CoC when we get to Barbarossa.
i.e. roll every time it moves 1-3 it breaks down. 😉

DougM

Post by DougM »

Well, according to Wikipedia (I know... ) it was more reliable than the KV1 and T34 tanks it was brigade with in 1941.
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Then 95% of tje T-34 and KV-1's must have broken down 😊
Have a Russian site has map and decription of all the 68 T-35's that started that famous march
One survived (repaired when broke down early)
5 KIA
The rest broke down and were abandoned.

poiter50

Post by poiter50 »

Sort of EW Germans. A couple of us have started looking at Op Barbarossa, so I looked for some figures that I knew were in the lead pile and finally found them (wrong storage box) only to find I am 2 short. I'm talking of German Cavalry (Recce Squad) for the Action at Ustilug PSC. The actual dismounted squad is only 9 or 10 men. For the mounted ones, I have a mix of Crusader and Foundry with 8 horses and 12 riders, so now I need to hunt up spare horses. Unfortunately they don't mix and match, so it will require Foundry horses from the mountain. Plenty of time to do them (hopefully).

DougM

Post by DougM »

You have to be pretty dedicated to actually have WW2 cavalry. How many PSC will they appear in? I assume they could be a Blitzkrieg support option, if you were very keen to field them.

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Given how far in the rear the horses were tethered, or held, do you need them at all? Richard C has made a similar point about cycle and motorcycle borne troops, and said there's no need to deploy the vehicles on the table, just the fighting elements of the squads/platoons.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

DougM

Post by DougM »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:56 am
Given how far in the rear the horses were tethered, or held, do you need them at all? Richard C has made a similar point about cycle and motorcycle borne troops, and said there's no need to deploy the vehicles on the table, just the fighting elements of the squads/platoons.
Absolutely correct, but my M/C troops are there for the coup de main, seizing the bridge/junction, whatever. And it's an iconic WW2 movie image.

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

Motorcycle troops really were an early war thang. There was a report from the Poland 1939 campaign by an American officer (iirc), who noted that transporting troops any distance by motorcycle and sidecar was a hapless task as they just didn’t have the power to carry so much weight. By the end of the campaign many motorcycle companies had mostly switched to commandeered civilian cars as most of their motorcycles had broken down. Admittedly, that was on Polish roads, but Russian roads were even worse.

There is a scenario (“Blitzkrieg”) in the Blitzkrieg handbook, where you have to get two units off the enemy table-edge with great haste. I can see horsed cav and/or motorcycles playing a role in that. Better to have Hanomag-borne infantry, though these were very rare in Poland and still pretty rare in France.

DougM

Post by DougM »

The standard scenarios in the rules include the Probe, in which you need to get a team to the enemy baseline. Things like Motorcycles are brilliant if you can't get armoured cars :)

And I have a M/C Combo for my DAK, but I am primarily interested in getting an additional combo for my Blitzkrieg (1940) Germans. If anyone has a spare BTD M/C they are willing to sell...