3D-printing tanks...

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Tijnemanske

3D-printing tanks...

Post by Tijnemanske »

I posted my first printed tanks in my 6mm Hex thread, but as I continue printing I figured this project warranted it's own thread...

First up, a couple of Sd.Kfz. 231/232 6-Rads... These miniatures have been on my want-list for a long time.

Working with Chitubox (the slicer program) is a learning experience. While these models look pretty decent, under the surface mistakes were made...

A lot more pictures and info on my blog!
Last edited by Tijnemanske on Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tijnemanske

Re: 3D-printing tanks...

Post by Tijnemanske »

The next model, also a favourite of mine, might just be the start of a new British/Commonwealth project...

A set of Canadian built Ram's... Two different versions.

I adapted the design to accommodate a set of magnets and I hollowed out the barrel...

A lot more pictures and info on my blog.

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve »

Had a read through your blog, really interesting. I got a CR10S about 6 months ago and have done lots of terrain but I am really impressed with the results you are getting in resin.

Tijnemanske

Post by Tijnemanske »

john de terre neuve wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:55 am
Had a read through your blog, really interesting. I got a CR10S about 6 months ago and have done lots of terrain but I am really impressed with the results you are getting in resin.
Thanks, glad you enjoyed my blog :)
The results are impressive, even more than I anticipated. Every time I pull something out of the printer I am amazed by the level of detail and the smoothness of the print...

Well, almost every time... I have had some prints failing due to poor support placement or model orientation on my part, but that's all part of the learning experience.

Printing results are also heavily dependant on the quality of the design. All of the tanks and armoured vehicles I have printed so far are designed by some very good designers.
I just removed two Sherman Fireflies (on first glance they looked pretty good, pictures coming soon) and immediately put the printer back to work, printing two Staghound armoured cars...

I am using an FDM printer for terrain, too. I never managed to get anything near acceptable printed in terms of miniatures, though... Depending on the printer, you can get great results out of an FDM printer, too.

Rich H

Post by Rich H »

Neat results. do you draw your own?

I draw and 3d print masters for several companies now - resin printing is ridiculously good.
I print at 0.05, the xy resolution of my printer (Anycubic photon) is 0.047mm anyway.

I'd suggest, assuming your printer has the same issues as mine, print at multiples of 0.01 (so 0.02 or 0.03) as the stepper motor has to microstep to get half (0.005mm) steps and there is reduced torque available when doing it.

Tijnemanske

Post by Tijnemanske »

Rich H wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:28 pm
Neat results. do you draw your own?

I draw and 3d print masters for several companies now - resin printing is ridiculously good.
I print at 0.05, the xy resolution of my printer (Anycubic photon) is 0.047mm anyway.

I'd suggest, assuming your printer has the same issues as mine, print at multiples of 0.01 (so 0.02 or 0.03) as the stepper motor has to microstep to get half (0.005mm) steps and there is reduced torque available when doing it.
I wish I could draw them myself... I have some basic skills in 3D-design but nowhere near good enough to draw my own tanks. These models are all from Thingiverse, most are from m_bergman https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3553160

Most of my prints are done in 0.05, but recently I have switched to 0.025 for certain tanks. So far I have experienced no issues but I will keep your advice in mind, thank you. And I agree, the resin printers are almost too good...

Tijnemanske

Post by Tijnemanske »

I have printed a couple more tanks for my British/Commonwealth project...

I think these Sherman Fireflies turned out rather nice... These will be used in our games of What a Tanker! first, and when I have built a latger force they will be used for I Ain't Been Shot Mum, too...

I am working on a couple of Staghound armoured cars, almost finished... After that I will probably print some Stuarts or Cromwells. Either way, expect more posts soon.

A lot more pictures, updates and info on my blog...

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

They look great - have you tried upscaling Bergmans designs to 1/56th?

Allan JD

Post by Allan JD »

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:25 pm
The Bergman and the Tiger Ace designs look ok when produced in 1/56 - there are a number of operations selling these models.

The only real problem, assuming they're produced at a decent print quality, are the gun barrels. Blown up to 1/56 the smaller weapons can look like tree trunks stuck onto the front of a turret.

poiter50

Post by poiter50 »

Yep, most Bergmans upscale to 1/56 without problems. I spent a few hours yesterday at the Library printing turrets for a Daimler (both 2pdr and Littlejohn Adaptor), Aircon units and dustbins as well as a Horch. Only the Horch was a Bergman but it came out OK, just needs to be reset for the horizontal (my lack of diligence). I will use it for a wreck. I was goinf to print the base and gun for a 20mm AA version but time was running out. Next time.
Truscott Trotter wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:25 pm